Freezing Or Refrigerating Fondant Mold Reliefs

Decorating By Lelepatisserie Updated 27 Mar 2016 , 12:08am by -K8memphis

Lelepatisserie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelepatisserie Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 12:13am
post #1 of 3

Can you freeze or refrigerate gumpaste or fondant for a few days and when you take them out they will still be plyable?? 

Here is my issue...I have a rather large photo shoot cake due in 4 days. It will be completely covered in a bas relief pattern. I only have one mold so I know this will take me ages to do...I also don't have the cake yet (long story but someone is dropping it off sat or Sunday). I don't think that I will have time to make all the molds when I finally get the cake and would love to start on it tonight but I can't have the gumpaste or fondant reliefs dry so I can attach and move them when applying to the cake. I am assuming that putting the molds into the freezer it wouldn't allow them to dry, but I also don't want them to melt because of condensation.

Any advise would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Lele

2 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 3

Don't fridge or freeze your fondant. That's just going to cause condensation issues and it doesn't sound like you're going to have time for any of those. Just keep your molded pieces in an airtight container. They'll get a little stiffer but will still be moveable.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 12:08am
post #3 of 3

for next time -- get some of that 'sunnyside up bakery' flexible lace product from hobby lobby (if you are in the states) otherwise i recommend using the flexible lace product available to you -- does great in mo!ds -- stores wonderful wrapped up or out on a sheet pan -- for days & days

there are peeps on here that do freeze fondant items like this though -- another possible medium is rolled buttercream -- mold then handle it frozen also chocolate clay and fudge

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%