Cakes Too Dense

Baking By alschmelzle Updated 27 Mar 2016 , 4:36am by -K8memphis

alschmelzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alschmelzle Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 13

My family often complains about my cakes being too dense.  I like to make stacked cakes (3 to 4 layers) and when the occassion is right tiered cakes are a lot of fun.  I try to explain to my family that when making stacked cakes like these the weight of the cake and icing all on top of each other will compress the layers and make them a bit dense but they just don't seem to understand!  Am I wrong?  Is there a way to make stacked cakes and keep them light and fluffy? 

I don't have one particular recipe that I use every time but I almost ALWAYS make my cakes from scratch.  I use and electric KitchenAid mixer and depending on the recipe will use either all purpose or cake flour.  I try not to over mix my batter.  I mix on low until everything is incorporated and then about 30 seconds more and bake based on the recipe's instructions.  I generally cool them completely in the pan before removing them onto a wired rack.

12 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 13

Hmm...not sure really what to tell you...there are so many factors that can affect the texture of  a cake...the recipe, the temperature, etc.  Personally, I'm sure I'd like your cake.  I don't like cakes with a texture as light as a dandelion blowing in the wind.  You can blame cake mixes for the mindset of Americans thinking that's how a cake is supposed to be.

alschmelzle Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 13

I agree!  The light airy cakes tend to be dry and flavorless, in my experience.  I like a denser, more moist cake myself.  I guess everyone else is just going to have to deal with it!  Thanks Jeff

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 2:29am
post #4 of 13

Quote by @alschmelzle on 7 hours ago

...............The light airy cakes tend to be dry and flavorless, in my experience................  

Oh  no! :(  Can't DISagree w/you more!  Not when my WASC recipe is used.  It makes such a nice moist, slightly dense cake.  

TO the original poster:  Please do try the *original* WASC cake recipe.  

And you are very wrong that a cake needs to be dense to support multiple layers &/or tiers and lots of icing!  What supports is your support system.  As one of our older posters said you could stack/tier jello or whipped cream with the proper support system.  Are you using pound cake recipes?  Is that how dense you make your cakes?  Then again I suggest you use the *original* WASC recipe!  

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 13

I occasionally use kakeladi's WASC recipe at our restaurant and I can vouch for the fact that it's certainly not dry and flavorless. She would probably have a heart attack if she saw me throwing a cake together some days. (Sorry, kakeladi! )

I have noticed that if I get a little heavy-handed with the oil, the cake will be much more dense. Maybe you want to check the amount of oil/fat in your recipes? Just a thought.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 13

'30 seconds to mix a cake' jumped out at me -- a few recipes might do well with this type of mixing -- none of mine would -- usually eggs  need to get wound out/combined well -- there's a visible difference in cake mixed for 30 seconds and mixed for two minutes -- more emulsion happens --

idk -- that's my thought

kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 13

Try as I have I cannot NOT mix for batter for less than 2 minutes.  There is just something in my brain that won't let me:)  

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 13

Quote by @alschmelzle on 1 day ago

I try to explain to my family that when making stacked cakes like these the weight of the cake and icing all on top of each other will compress the layers and make them a bit dense

I try to explain to my family that when making stacked cakes like these the weight of the cake and icing all on top of each other will compress the layers and make them a bit dense
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/828632/cakes-too-dense#RceWegcLgspgd87o.99

Why would upper tiers compress lower tiers? What kind of support system are you using? The support system you use (dowels or bubble tea straws plus cake circles, or SPS, etc.) supports the weight of the individual tiers. You can use the lightest fluffiest cake you want and many are delicious (although I prefer the denser ones).

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 12:18am
post #9 of 13

kakeladi -- i know! something in the wiring hahahaha

alschmelzle Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 2:06am
post #10 of 13

I dont mix it for only 30 seconds and that's it! I mix continuously until all of the dry and wet ingredients are incorporated and then about 30 seconds more.

I olny use dowels when making a tiered take. 

What is this WASC recipe I keep hearing about?

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 4:36am
post #13 of 13

yes that's not long enough -- try two minutes -- if you are folding in egg whites you mix with a real light touch but otherwise you need to mix it more after the ingredients are incorporated --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%