Fondant Tearing!!

Decorating By Cakemoms24 Updated 27 Mar 2016 , 6:32pm by Creativeconfectioner

Cakemoms24 Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 12:10am
post #1 of 5

Help!! I normally don't find my fondant to tear on my smaller cakes but even my 9" cake I covered in fondant teared THREE times!! I re-rolled, and tried again, what's the trick??? is it too thin still? how thick should it typically be?  I smooth from top of cake and go around until i reach the bottom of the cake. Not sure how to "tear proof" my fondant haha any ideas?

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 2:40am
post #2 of 5

Since no one has taken a stab at answering this I will.  Maybe the fondant has gotten too warm w/your rerolling it often?  Especially if it is warm in your kitchen.  Anyhooooo  that's about all I could think of.

jellybeanlane Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 5

I had a similar incident once it was the fondant was old... it seemed fine at first wasn't hard but maybe a tad dryer than normal not very noticeable at first but when I would try to roll it out or cover my cake sure enough tares rips and just ugly holes .... id try to mend it but that seem to only made things worse so I got tired and frustrated and got another batch and no one issue! so maybe it's that your fondant it old... not like moldy old but lost it's moisture and elasticity old.... hope this helps

jellybean :0)

costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 5

What brand are you using? Some are more likely to tear than others. Try rolling it out a little thicker, you could just be putting it on too thin while using a non-stretchy type of fondant. The suggestions about the fondant being too dry are good ideas, too, knead some crisco into it and see if that helps. Or you can add a little tylose to it to make it stretchier.

Creativeconfectioner Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 5

Also if you do not trim the length hanging below the turn table it can cause problems too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%