Gold Chocolate Molds - Help!

Baking By anneormaza Updated 25 Mar 2016 , 1:45am by kakeladi

anneormaza Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 10

Good Morning!

I'm making favors for my Grandmothers 70th birthday next weekend! This task was given to me from the family members planning the party. I'm in Chocolate Hell trying to figure out the best way to create these from scratch. I've attached the picture of the mold as well as the description from the website I bought them off of. These things are HUGE...I need them to be super shiny gold. Can someone please help me to determine where to even start? Like what kind of chocolate, what color, how many, do I need to mix it with anything..etc.? Thank you BTW i'm a single momma, can't afford much..on a really tight budget :(

• "Each piece is 8" tall
  • 2 cavities per mold
  • Manufacturer did not provide volume of melts required per piece
  • Note: Each piece holds approximately 3-3/4 fluid ounces of liquid
  • My best estimate is it takes 2.8 ounces of melts to create one statue
  • This is also available as a sucker as item #5815."

!900_gold-chocolate-molds-he_98661856f3f3a932c7d.jpg

9 replies
kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 10

Yeah, 8" is tall :>).  It is almost impossible to get a bright,shiny gold and have it edible.  There are a couple of dusts out there on the market that are considered non-toxic but according to the health dept it is still not considered edible and needs to be removed from any edible item before serving.    You can try  using yellow candy melts then painting them w/gold dust me ixed with a clear alchole  such as vodka.  You mix up about 1/2 teaspoon of the dust w/about the same amount of vodka and paint quickly as the vodka evaporates fast. If the gold gets dry, just add more vodka.  Sorry, I don't know where to purchase the gold dust except to suggest you check with a cake supply shop or on the internet.  You don't mention how many of those you need to make so there is no way to estimate how much candy melts you need but it probably will take one bag/pound 

kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 10

Yeah, 8" is tall :>).  It is almost impossible to get a bright,shiny gold and have it edible.  There are a couple of dusts out there on the market that are considered non-toxic but according to the health dept it is still not considered edible and needs to be removed from any edible item before serving.    You can try  using yellow candy melts then painting them w/gold dust mixed with a clear alchole  such as vodka.  You mix up about 1/2 teaspoon of the dust w/about the same amount of vodka and paint quickly as the vodka evaporates fast. If the gold gets dry, just add more vodka.  Sorry, I don't know where to purchase the gold dust except to suggest you check with a cake supply shop or on the internet.  You don't mention how many of those you need to make so there is no way to estimate how much candy melts you need but it probably will take one bag (which I think is 10 oz.)  And you don't need to make them as thick - just pour in enough choco to get the design but not fill the cavity completely.

Hope that helps :)

anneormaza Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much Kakeladi! I would actually need to make about 130. I know it seems almost impossible.

kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 10

Well it will go quickly.  To get a more shiny gold maybe use fondant instead of choco.  Not sure how that would be cost wise but if you add flavoring to fondant it's really not that bad.  The chocolate tastes to me just like a tootsie roll :)  Yah, I know you probably can't use choco and it's not easy to find.  I have flavored fondant many times - especially adding butter and vanilla extracts.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 10

i mean are you putting two together to make it stand or just making one per?

my bright idea is to make one the full size for g'ma -- then make just the busts for the rest -- keep the mold tilted so it fills the top -- then after you assemble them (if you are putting two together) place the bottom on a hot plate so it melts and it will stand up -- or just use a hot knife to slice it -- in fact you could just do laying down half ones -- this is gonna cost you plenty -- get some gold spray -- be sure it is made to work on chocolate -- 

buy almond bark or candy melts or whatever it's called at the grocery store -- it's not really chocolate but real chocolate is gonna be pricey -- it tastes great -- i add powdered vanilla but you don't need to -- and of course no water/liquid of any kind can get into chocolate you know that right? have you molded anything before?

you might be able to find some star chocolates (or molds) and wrap those in gold foil too -- all available at the local cake deco store

if you're a single momma on a thin dime i'd wish you could go back to the family and ask for some assi$tance -- or change of plans there gee whiz --

i'm almost 70 years old just a few more years and if i knew one of my granddaughters was pinching it for a random detail on my birthday party i'd be upset -- 

you're very sweet to do this and i hope you all have a lovely celebration -- happy birthday to your g'ma

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 10

so say 3 ounces per statue --  you need 25 pounds of chocolate -- even if you get the candy coating from kroger or your grocery store -- geez louise that's a ton of money -- it's $3 to $4 a pound so that's a hundred dollars -- my mom (was a single mom) she never had $100 for any of our birthdays never mind for a tiny detail on someone else's 70th

http://2pennies2rub.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/choc5-300x185.jpg

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 10

get white candy coating and color it yellow gold with candy coloring made especially for chocolate! don't use any regular food color -- you can use powdered color though -- then it's already half way there before you even hit it with the gold spray 

http://www.amazon.com/Chefmaster-Edible-2-Ounce-Kosher-Certified/dp/B002XN1YUW

kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2016 , 1:45am
post #10 of 10

K8 has some good suggestions - making a 1/2 bust would definitely cut your cost down.  And she remembered about using candy colors not reg food colors.   As for 'painting' choco I remember Frances Kuyper (the original Cake Lady) doing a lot of that.  She would spray one of those spray canned 'Bakers Joy" types lightly on the item, then wipe it  w/paper towel some so there was just a light film of grease on the choco.  Now it is colored but I can't remember just how.  Might has been w/powdered, or paste colors or airbrush liquid color.  She was well know for airbrushing cakes!   I like K8's suggestion on that spray gold but you might have to 'prim' the choco like I described above (Baker's Joy).  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%