Help! I Forgot To Dam My Cake!!!

Baking By Anniedutari Updated 24 Mar 2016 , 1:37pm by Anniedutari

Anniedutari Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, I know this...    I´m supposed to dam my cake BEFORE I put the filling in... but I was in such a hurry I totally forgot! :(  I´m using a homemade lemon curd and I didn´t put too much between the layers... I would say about 1/8" of filling.  I´m covering my cake in SMBC and I´m not going to use fondant... Will I have any problems?  I did 2 crumb coats already...

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 4

i mean if you've just done crumb coats you can easily dig out just that area and fill it in with icing -- but an eighth of an inch is not much filling either -- i'd guess it might have all sucked into the cake? did you go all the way to the edge with it? if not then the dam is already there -- but just dig it out with a small spatula while whirling it around on a turntable -- no worries

nadiacorallo Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 4

I don't think you'll have a problem with such a small amount of filling. I've only ever had problems, when doing 1/4-1/2 thick filling and no dam and covering in smbc and then fondant. I think it would be the fondant that would give you problems if any. If you don't see any bulging after 2 crumb costs, I'd say you're good to go! Good luck!

Anniedutari Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you!!!! I delivered the cake yesterday and it held up perfectly!!!!  I will NEVER forget to dam again! jajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja  The stress was just too much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%