Wedding Cake- Too Ambitious?

Baking By Kelle23 Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 10:20pm by funcakes

Kelle23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelle23 Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there, I'm going to be making my own wedding cake in July. Many moons ago I was a cake decorator in a grocery store bakery but I've never made a cake of this size in a home kitchen. The plan is to make two 10 inch layers for the first tier and 2 8 inch layers for the top tier (small wedding, maybe 50 people). The plan I had is to make each layer (4 in all) in different flavors with complimentary fillings. For example, dark chocolate with mocha filling and almond cake with frangelico filling for the top tier, lemon cake and something else for bottom tier. All covered with white chocolate buttercream since I don't think I can deal with fondant in a home kitchen. Question- is this too ambitious? Should I stick with 2 basic cake flavors and use 4 different fillings? For instance, dark chocolate cake for both bottom layers, white cake for top 2 tiers with different fillings. I know it all boils down to personal preference, just asking for input from experienced home bakers. Thanks for any advice!

3 replies
Cakes_and_Faith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_and_Faith Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 4

Hey, I don't think it's too ambitious, I really like the idea of having different flavors per layer. The only question would be is if you really have the time to make it with the other wedding preparations you have to do? If you have the time then you should definitely go for it. But if you have a million other things to do then maybe scale back or have someone else do it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 4

oh go for it -- if you will refrigerate or freeze your cake don't use butter in the cake batters it doesn't loosen back up to room temp and that's why a lot of scratch cakes get a bad rap 'it's dry' -- it's not really dry it's just too firm and scratches down the back of the throat -- 

you can make up for this by using all butter in the icing -- i love your flavors you could use a raspberry filling in a white cake to match with the lemon cake

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 4

I think you can do this without a problem.  You may want a friend to come over and help just to tidy up and get things ready while you do the baking and decorating. I decorated with sugar paste flowers so I could make them well in advance.  One had a beach wedding and I molded chocolate sea shells for that one.  I loved doing that.

I have never been trained or taken any classes and have made wedding cakes for my daughter and friends.  I just want to point out that I found I needed more cake when  the tiers were different flavors.  Usually with one flavor guests have one piece, when I offered more flavors many wanted to taste them all.  Then again you may have more polite guests than I did. LOL!

I think small weddings are wonderful and a home made wedding cake is the best!  Enjoy and congratulations!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%