Decorating A Cake

Decorating By Starrmyst Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 5:15am by kakeladi

Starrmyst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starrmyst Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 2

Hi there,

I'm a newbie, but because of my nephew's allergies have made a few cakes for him. I have generally done fondant cakes and iced them in ganache or icing (from a can). The family really dislikes buttercream, although it would be easier in some cases to use it to ice. 

The family loves whipped cream icing but I know that it is not stable enough for fondant. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thanks

Starr

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 5:15am
post #2 of 2

You could try the non dairy buttercream replacements.  There are 2 diffeernt companies that make very similar product that's called "Frostin Pride" and the other one "Bettercreme".  They are not easy to find in many areas but if you have a Smart & Final store one of the 2 is usually available.  It comes in a carton just like milk and should be in the fzr section.  They don't freeze solid but stay slightly 'mushy'.  You spoon out the fzn stuff (product instructions will tell you to thaw in frig  overnight but I found it best to use it w/o thawing, as that way if you don't use it all what's left can be kept)  and whip it up just like one would whipping cream.  Some people like these products, saying they aren't as sweet as b'cream but personally I think they are sweeter. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%