Opinion On Price

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 11:42am by kristykgs

kristykgs Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys.  The below picture is a 2 tiered butterfly cake using a heart shaped pan. I am a home baker that doesn't do cakes to the public...just cupcakes and cookies. However, a friend of mine wants me to do this cake and I know I can do it. But because I don't normally do them, I have no idea how to price this out. I mean, I know how to price, as I've done it for cupcakes, but I have no idea how long this will take to pipe out. 

So i am looking to get options on what  you would charge? 

11 replies
kristykgs Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 12

sweetchariot Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 12

The design seems simple enough with only buttercream. It looks like a nine inch cake.

i would charge about $75 for it. Anything less would not be worth my time. But you might be able to work faster than me. I tend to be slow ha!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 12

a professional decorator would pop that out in 8-9 minutes if they took a two minute break in between

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 12

in other words no upcharge -- just straight base pricing for the piping -- maybe $5 for a bigger board and box and because you are making it into a butterfly -- so if you angle those wings more it will enhance the whole effect

kristykgs Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 12

sweetchariot - that is what another friend of mine (who bakes out of her home said)

K8memphis - You are correct, but I don't claim to be professional LOL. Haven't done this kind of piping in a very long time.

Appreciate both of your responses. It gave me exactly what I needed.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 12

i know you will make it beautiful and i think $3 ish a serving is respectable--

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 12

ps. stiffen your icing with cornstarch to pipe the roses and loosen it with a bit of water for the lace to flow out easy peasy and the icing should be  just as is out of the bowl for the borders --

you got this!

kristykgs Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you K8

carolinecakes Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 1:33am
post #10 of 12

I have this saved for future use thought you might like.........she used 3 hearts and used the first two for the upper wings and then cut the 3rd heart in half for the lower wings. Cut the 3rd cake in half with a curve to create the look of wings and  the middle piece that was left over fit perfectly down the center of the butterfly to make the body.

Butterfly Cake

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 5:01am
post #11 of 12

You mention that the order would be for a 2 tier cake.  The picture is just a single layer round or heart cake just cut in 1/2 - totally differnt.  As the others have said, it is an easy cake to do especially in b'cream.  How much you would charge for cupcakes using that much batter?  Now up it about $20 for the extra work  and packaging used compared to cupcakes. 

kristykgs Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 11:42am
post #12 of 12

good morning! Thank you all for the responses. I quoted her 65. She opted to save the cake for a special occasion and load up on cupcakes. So I'm quite happy as I was not excited to do this. However, I know she will order it soon for something. I now have time to practice with it and figure out the best way and how long it will take.

Really appreciate your helpfulness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%