Anyone Have Experience With Erythritol?

Baking By kgorhan Updated 22 Mar 2016 , 10:28pm by -K8memphis

kgorhan Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 3

I am wondering if anyone has experience baking with erythritol as a sugar substitute. I have a few family members who are diabetic and I've been playing around with it. From what I've read it doesn't have a horrible after taste and has the lowest impact on the digestive system. My problem is my cookies turn out hard after they cool. Straight out of the oven they are really good, but once they cool they are like rocks. 

2 replies
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 3

those sugar alcohols are sweeteners they are just not going to perform like sugar in baked goods like you've already found out -- have to really work on the formulas 

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 3

truvia is mostly erythritol -- so anyone using truvia has used it -- but the packaging makes such a big deal out of stevia one might think it's stevia you're using but no it's the e-word --

i've tried a bunch of other sugars like date sugar which is just crumbled up dates all minced -- great for an accent toffee flavor  --

i've used stevia and stevia wannabees -- you can get away with using stevia if you find something to sub in for the bulk of (absent) sugar like applesauce or some starch -- there's something else i've used -- can't remember right now -- but anyway as i was saying a good stevia like sweet leaf brand that has no aftertaste will be a perfect sweetener (just as a flavoring) IF you add a bit of sugar -- plain stevia sweetened items do taste off but if you add a touch of real sugar it covers it all up -- enough for me anyhow -- it is an acquired taste but sweet leaf brand is the best --

i think a lot of things have invertase in them to sub in for the bulk of the (missing) sugar? i think that's it

Quote by @%username% on %date%