Frost A Cupcake To Look Like A Black And White Cookie?

Decorating By asweetthankyou Updated 24 Mar 2016 , 3:03pm by asweetthankyou

asweetthankyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asweetthankyou Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 5:25am
post #1 of 19

I need to frost some cupcakes with buttercream.  They need to be half one color and half a second color like a black and white cookie would look.  I have never done something like this.  I've been looking around but can not find anything.  I do not want a swirl like you'd find at a frozen yogurt place.  Any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated!

18 replies
sweetchariot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchariot Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 19

If you want a smooth finish you could pipe it half and half with the colors then take a wax paper square and take something flat and use it to press the colors down evenly with the wax piece of paper in between. Just a thought. Or just turn the cupcake upside down onto the wax piece and push a little so it flattens.

Refrigerate about 15 min to let them set and then remove the wax paper pieces?

first thing that came to mind : )

do you have a pic as an example?

asweetthankyou Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 19

@sweetchariot ‍ Thanks for the reply.  A black and white cookie looks like this[postimage id="3292" thumb="900"]

My goal is to make the cupcake look the same but with buttercream.  I have been looking at rolled buttercream and I was thinking about making up a batch of each color.  Then I'd make full circles of each color, cut the circles in half and viola.  I assume I'd frost the cupcakes with buttercream first and then place the rolled butttercream on top?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 19

rolled buttercream conforms to the surface it's on -- so long as the icing is flat you'd be ok -- i would freeze the rb sections to handle them --

but i would just pipe it on -- fill in the underneath with icing then pipe the top and flatten it --

i think modelling choco aka candy clay is an option because it holds it's shape to stay nice & flat & firm -- but rb would work with the proper foundation -- and rb has a better mouth feel for a nice luscious cupcake

i also want to suggest using black cocoa rather than food color -- you can get it on amazon or king arthur flour

asweetthankyou Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 19

So just to clarify, I'm making cupcakes and want the top to be 1/2 frosted blue and 1/2 frosted red.  I'm deciding between piping and smoothing vs. rolled buttercream.  I'd use some blue and some red food coloring to tint the buttercream.  Has anyone here ever done something like this?  Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 19

yes i have and i gave you some good advice -- best to you

asweetthankyou Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 19

Quote by @-K8memphis on 18 minutes ago

yes i have and i gave you some good advice -- best to you

Thank you for your advice.  I just wanted to clarify for others since you mentioned black cocoa.  My color scheme is red/blue not black/white.  I am taking your advice as we speak.  I've made RBC and it is freezing up now.  I am going to cut  out the circles, put on some buttercream and then put the frozen circle of RBC on top.  I will post pics soon.  Thanks @-K8memphis ‍ for your assistance with this.  If anyone has anything to add I'd be curious.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 19

no wait no wait -- roll it, cut it out, put the two different colored halves together -- then freeze it so you can handle it -- freeze it in it's finished state not before -- then just peel it off the paper and apply it

asweetthankyou Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 11:32pm
post #9 of 19

OK, I see.  I made the RBC, rolled it but it was too fragile to handle at that point.  So, I'm wondering what to do?  How about this:

• make the RBC recipe
  • roll it out flat between sheets of wax paper/parchment paper
  • put it in fridge to set
  • cut circles, cut circles in half
  • Put two different colored circles together
  • Freeze it
  • Next day place it on cupcakes

Thanks @-K8memphis ‍ 

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 19

you might want to add more sugar or even a little cornstarch -- it should be firm enough to roll out but not to pick up -- you should be able to make a small roll of each color -- pat them out a bit and get them all even steven with a ruler or dough cutter or spatula -- place them together on some parchment or waxed paper or foil -- finish rolling them out to the thickness you want and you want it kind of thick and cut your circles -- remove the excess -- don't touch the circles -- freeze

asweetthankyou Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 19

Quote by @-K8memphis on 49 seconds ago

you might want to add more sugar or even a little cornstarch -- it should be firm enough to roll out but not to pick up -- you should be able to make a small roll of each color -- pat them out a bit and get them all even steven with a ruler or dough cutter or spatula -- place them together on some parchment or waxed paper or foil -- finish rolling them out to the thickness you want and you want it kind of thick and cut your circles -- remove the excess -- don't touch the circles -- freeze

Awesome!  I will work on that now.  Thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 11:45pm
post #12 of 19

i mean you have to be careful where you are rolling across the seam so the two colors have more of the straight line between them -- just place your cutter carefully where the join is the straightest kwim --

or you could overlap the two colors (mostly flattened) and cut down through both with a dough cutter and remove the excess so you have a smoothy smooth seam and then use your circle cutter

asweetthankyou Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 1:07am
post #13 of 19

Thanks for all the help @-K8memphis ‍ Here's a sample with red and white.  I will make it even straighter for the real deal.  I'm putting the RBC into a rectangle mini-loaf pan.  Then I'm cutting strips (rectangles really) and placing the two colors next to each other.  Place in between sheets of parchment and roll it out.  Then cut.  Here are the results

[postimage id="3298" thumb="900"]

asweetthankyou Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:03am
post #14 of 19

Is it better to add the color to the RBC during the first step (mix the shortening with the corn syrup) or can I add it at the end?  I'm thinking that the color may lighten up if I put the color in during the first step.  I'm afraid the color may not mix in properly if I add it at the end.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 9:38am
post #15 of 19

either way y'know whichever works for you on the coloring -- those look real good but i cut and remove the excess so i don't touch/disturb the circle and mine might be thicker but who cares --

you'e got it

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 9:38am
post #16 of 19

clap.png

asweetthankyou Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks but I couldn't have done it without you @-K8memphis ‍ !

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 4:14pm
post #18 of 19

go ahead make my day -- thank you

one thing i want you to watch out for  is the colors fading/blending into each other -- i don't know why they would but that's the only possible thing i can think of to watch out for going forward -- maybe as quick as you get your colors made stick a little bit of each color together and see if it makes any difference/movement as you go about the process kwim -- 

best of the best to you 

asweetthankyou Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 3:03pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks again to @-K8memphis ‍ for the assistance!  Came out exactly how I wanted it.

[postimage id="3321" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%