Buttercream Cake With Fondant Decorations-Storage?!

Decorating By awozniak Updated 22 Mar 2016 , 5:07am by Pastrybaglady

awozniak Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 2:54am
post #1 of 3

I am making my sons Mickey Mouse birthday cake this week. I was told by someone else who bakes that I should bake the cake Wednesday, frost Thursday, decorate on Friday. The party is Saturday at 2:00. The cake it all over butter cream with fondant decorations. When practicing, I stored a tier in my cake holder with a top, and the next day the fondant circles were droopy. I need advice on how to store the cake- counter, fridge, covered, not, with the fondant decorations. Thank you in advance! 

Also, I was planning on free cutting all of the shapes and such out of the fondant. How can i preserve the shapes over night, to stick them onto the buttercream cake the next day? Fridge? Air tight container? Thanks :)

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 3:31am
post #2 of 3

You can cut the fondant shapes before hand and cover them well w/plastic wrap.  No need to frig them.  They should be just fine to be put on the cake Sat.  The iced cake can be left on the counter OR frig'd.  No need to cover but won't hurt if you do.  

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 5:07am
post #3 of 3

It helps to keep the cake in a cardboard box, the box absorbs extra moisture. Plastic accumulates condensation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%