Could Anyone Offer Advice On How To Decorate A Cake Please

Decorating By JakesMummy Updated 24 Mar 2016 , 5:46pm by JakesMummy

JakesMummy Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 7

Hi I'm just after a bit of advice please. I'm a hobby baker and a friend has asked me to make a princess Sofia cake for her daughter similar to the one pictured below. Does anyone have any advice on how on earth I can make sure the lilac "dress" is even around the sides? Would you recommend making a stencil on baking paper first? Thanks in advance 

6 replies
SoniaMT Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! I dont know if you have a work mat that has measurements on it. Maybe you can try measuring it as a circle first and then use some type of stencil or i usually use paper cut outs to get an even shape all around. I just do this for a hobby as well so im actually curious to know if there is an easier way! lol This is what i think i would do if i had to make a cake like this. 

JakesMummy Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 12:37am
post #3 of 7

Ah no I don't have a work mat with measurements on maybe I should invest in one. Thanks for your help I think I will use paper cut outs too :)

SoniaMT Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 12:51am
post #4 of 7

You can use a cake board to get the measurements of the top part and just add however many inches to it to drape over maybe 4 inches?

JakesMummy Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah that's a great idea  I'm just wondering how to draw out the U shapes. Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it 

ropalma Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 7

Look at mine.  I did it like SoniaMT mentioned.  I created a paper circle the size of the top plus the size of the sides.  The U shapes are a bit tricky because you have freehand them.  But once you have that pattern you can use it to cut out the fondant.  I let it air dry a bit before putting it on the cake so it would get a little stiff and would not stretch.

JakesMummy Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7

Ropalma thank you for your advice  I hadn't even thought about letting the fondant air dry so I'm glad you said that. Your cake looks lovely   

Quote by @%username% on %date%