Covering A Zero Number Cake In Fondant

Decorating By mgayoung Updated 24 Mar 2016 , 1:29pm by kstevens

mgayoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgayoung Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 4

I have a customer who wants a number "20" cake covered in fondant, but the middle of the "0" is cut out. I am trying to figure out the best way to cover inside the hole of the "0". Is this "0" number done in 2 separate fondant pieces or in one fondant piece? Never done this before. Always did buttercream.  PLEASE....... PLEASE HELP....thank you all.

3 replies
kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

Cover the cake as per normal and gently indent the hole. Cut an "X" in the center and ease the flaps down in to the hole.  I did this for a number 6 and it worked well.  Another option is to remove the fondant from the center, roll out a rectangle of fondant that is the depth and diameter of the hole.  Loosely roll this up and drop it in to the hole.  Carefully unfold it sticking it against the sides of the cake.  This of course will leave a join mark but you can carefully smooth it out.  Hope that helps!

mgayoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgayoung Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 12:57am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much kstevens for your reply. I will follow your suggestion. I feel better about doing this now.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 4

You are welcome.  Glad I could help :-)  Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.  Good luck with it.

Kelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%