Cake Turn Out Terrible!! Is It Me Or The Flour?

Baking By sweet-mimi1 Updated 20 Mar 2016 , 11:13pm by sweet-mimi1

sweet-mimi1 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 13

Hello all! I'm new to this, I hope someone can help me and give me some good advice... I wanted to start baking cakes just for the family.. I went out to the store and seen a 50lb bag of cake flour I did a research on and never found any reviews on it and I still made the purchase. after purchasing the cake flour I tried the simple ingredients and baked the cake... Then cake came out super white / hard as a rock ... Didn't give up that easy, I tried something else with the cake flour and it came out the same way again. now I am starting to think that it's the flour not me. What am I doing wrong?? I'm so stressed out with the result.900_cake-turn-out-terrible_98639756edac58e2fb4.jpg

12 replies
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 13

I've never heard of hi ratio flour, only hi ratio shortening.  If hi-ratio means it's milled extra fine how you measured will make all the difference in how your recipe came out. According to King Arthur and many others you need to stir and fluff the flour and then spoon gently into the measuring cup and then level. Some sift after that too.  If you just scoop and level you may have compacted too much flour into the cup.

sweet-mimi1 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you for your comment. Same here I never heard of it either. I just wanted to try something to make a good cake. I measured everything accurately and also sifted. I wonder which flours are there that will for sure work

Cakes_and_Faith Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 3:07am
post #4 of 13

I'm not sure where you are from but Swan's Down cake flour is great. I use it for almost all my recipes.

sweet-mimi1 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 3:55am
post #5 of 13

Hello from France, I'm in the states for now. Thank you for your comment. smiley.png I seen that when I was doing some research. I actually have some in my storage that I've purchased 2 weeks ago. I've never used swans brand before. Hopefully it comes out great. I wonder if the swans that's in the small box the same as the swans in the 50lb bag

kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:11am
post #6 of 13

Yes what is in the small box should be exactly the same as what is in a 50# bag.

sweet-mimi1 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:49am
post #7 of 13

Hello, Thank you for your comment. I would not have known that because when I automatically see two different kinds of packaging I think it's maybe different. 

810whitechoc Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 7:19am
post #8 of 13

In Australia Hi Ratio flour can also be known as Sponge flour.  We don't have that brand but I use Hi Ratio for lighter cakes like sponge cakes and you have to add either baking powder, bicarb soda or both and sieve it to aerate it.  As it is finely ground it creates a finer crumb.  I also use self raising flour or plain flour for heavier cakes like carrot cake etc.  So maybe the recipe you are using is not appropriate for Hi Ratio flour.

kramersl Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 13

Joe Pastry gives a good description…

You can't use "regular" recipes when using hi ratio flour…. You have to use specific recipes using the flour. They will have more liquid and usually more leavener.

kramersl Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 13

Here is a recipe using hi ratio flour

I like Joe… he really goes into the science of baking. Hopefully this helps!

sweet-mimi1 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 13

Hello, Thank you for your comments @810whitechoc & @kramersl ! Thank you so much for the great information you guys are sharing with me. So nice I'm taking lots of notes. My ingredients we're simple didn't even add much the first round.. Sifted flour then added just milk..eggs.. baked.. then it turned out super white/ hard as a rock.

smiley.png Great Help! I'm learning. Thank you both again 

leah_s Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 13

I only use the hi-ratio cake flour.  works perfectly.  Perhaps it was your recipe?

sweet-mimi1 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 13

Hello @leah_s ‍, Thank You for your comment. I am new to this kind of flour. Never used high ratio. I would not know 100% if it was my recipe or the high ratio flour until I find a recipe I can try... If it comes out way different... the problem would be me...If it comes out the same I would say bye-bye to high ratio flour. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%