Color Dyes

Decorating By traciseptember Updated 20 Mar 2016 , 1:35pm by traciseptember

traciseptember Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there! I am doing a cake for a friend and her co workers for Monday... However, she told me one of her co-workkers is allergic to both red and yellow dyes... Im even worried to do a chocolate cake, originally she wanted a red velvet, and I said no for obvious reasons...

I have a Wilton sky blue and I read the ingredients...  I dont see red or yellow- I know this may seem a dumb question, but I know that some blues may contain a small amount of yellow or even red dye... Short of just doing a cream colored buttercream, I am not sure what to do- is there a brand or any other certain color that may be okay for me to use?

The thing that got me was that my friend said that at work they get Ice Cream Cakes sometimes at work and the co worker can eat those and there has been yellow or red... I am worried about being responsible if she gets sick...

Im sorry if this seems like a dumb question...

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:31am
post #2 of 4

No ? is dumb if you don't know the answer.  We are here to help each other out:)   I realize colors can be a problem especially for someone who is allergic.  I was going to suggest a Black & white theme but blk  (therefore gray) is a combination of ALL colors so that is out.  Even orange is yellow & red :(  

I',m not sure why they would ask for red velvet when they know no red?!  I think you need to go back to the customer and ask for color suggestions under these circumstances.  May be just a bit of red &/or yellow in decoration that the person could work around or remove.  Yeah, make a plaque and put the colored decorations on it with the rest all white.  Don't know what type of decorating theme you thought of but a few all white ones could be beautiful, then add a plaque w/some color for the message.

From a person who has a lot of food I say it is up to us to decide if we can eat a certain thing - not up to you to be worried about.  If you were to invite me to dinner it's up to me not to indulge in what I know I can not have not up to you to make a special meal for me.  And since she seems to have had some ice cream w/those colors it sounds to me like she is skirting around the colors as I mentioned above.

julia1812 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:50am
post #3 of 4

How about a chocolate cake and white and brown buttercream decorations using chocolate instead of food coloring. Or use raspberries to get pink buttercream or mango for yellow/orange? 

traciseptember Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys so much for the ideas! And thank you for the reassurances about it not being my responsibility...

Its a small oval cake I am making... Yeah I was confused about the red velvet, but okay. :) I think I am going to basically stick with the natural buttercream, and I have a sky blue that does not seem to have any red or yellow, at least not that I can see.

This is such a great forum! I am so glad I found it!!!

Have a great day everyone! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%