Cake From Scratch

Business By Yeahgirl Updated 20 Mar 2016 , 2:45pm by MimiFix

Yeahgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeahgirl Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 7

A co-worker asked me if I could make her a red velvet cake, I said sure, then she said I'll pay whatever you charge. I charged  $40 and I made the cake from scratch 3 layers. I don't have a business I just love to cook. The next day she told me she wanted to get reimbursed  $30 because she was not satisfied with the cake. She took a bite of the cake and didn't like it. I told her I wouldn't reimburse her so now she is filing a complaint on me and taking me to court.

I don't know what to do? 

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 7

Anybody can take anyone 'to court' but seldom will someone win a legal case because they did not like the taste of some food item unless there was something very wrong w/the item - like it made them sick.   She is just trying to scare you into returning her money.   Yes, she can start all kinds of rumors and bad mouth you but you just have to ignore it and take the high road.  Do not try to bad mouth her.  If anyone asks you about it just tell them she didn't care for what you made for her - end of story.  

Yeahgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yeahgirl Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the replies. I feel better now

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:45am
post #4 of 7

I know what I'd do...I'd refund her the money, put her on the "no cake for you" list, then I'd make a bunch of cupcakes of the exact same flavor and take them to work to give to everyone but her. 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 4:52am
post #5 of 7

Quote by @costumeczar on 4 minutes ago

I know what I'd do...I'd refund her the money, put her on the "no cake for you" list, then I'd make a bunch of cupcakes of the exact same flavor and take them to work to give to everyone but her. 

Yep!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 7:11am
post #6 of 7

Quote by @costumeczar on 2 hours ago

Hahahahaha I like it!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 7

What you have experienced is unpleasant. Following custumeczar's advice will definitely help at work, with your colleagues. And refunding her money will help with other potential issues, because it sounds as if you don't have a legal business. If you want to continue selling, I suggest looking into the legal aspects of running a business. And I'm sorry you had to deal with this. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%