Tips On Making This Cake

Decorating By stephsweetreats Updated 29 Mar 2016 , 2:07am by jessicake

stephsweetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephsweetreats Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 1:24am
post #1 of 12

Hey everyone! Does anyone have any tips on making this cake?  I have someone interested in it for a wedding this year.  They only want to do two tiers though.  From what I can tell it almost looks like it starts like a ruffle flower and then turns into individual petals.

My concerns are: getting everything to stay put for transport.  I'm one of the paranoid people who likes to assemble on site, even though I use SPS.  With this cake I clearly can't assemble on site so transporting something that look so delicate makes me very nervous!  Anyone ever made anything similar and have tips and tricks?

Thanks in advance.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zDvcTwQAD4U/UMJ2AH5j4yI/AAAAAAAASQM/0Dks7nfPH3g/s1600/white-wedding-cake-8.jpg

11 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 2:35am
post #2 of 12

I am by no means an expert, but here's my 2 cents. Why not make those petals and dry them on cake dummies exactly where you will place them on your cake. This way those delicate gumpaste petals and flower aren't jiggling all the way to the reception. You can arrange the flower and petals on sight. It might help to take a pic of the petals  arrangement on cake dummies as an aid when you are arranging them onsite on the cakes. HTH

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 12

That cake is super simple to assemble, here's a video I made for customers since I sell the flowers in my shop: 

The center flower goes into the cake (I make them on toothpicks so you can stick it right in there) then you put the other petals in around it. The one in the video was going to be transported assembled like it is, and I put the top tier on when I got to the reception. It's easy to transport these as long as they're cold when you're moving them. Nothing will move around, and if something does fall off you can just put it right back on the cake with a little icing.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 12

brilliant video - are the petals edible or will they be too hard to eat?

stephsweetreats Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 12

@costumeczar ‍ thank you so much for sharing the amazing video!  That helps me so much.  The bride only wants a two tier cake, so for the petals do you think I should just decrease them by 1/2-3/4 quantity wise?

Also, are the petals completely dry? Or do I want them somewhat pliable when I go to place them so they can conform still?  Thanks again!

sweetchariot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchariot Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 12

Great video! Thanks

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 12:37am
post #7 of 12

Hey, this tutorial might be helpful to  you.

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 12

This may also help...

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 12

This may also help...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 12

Ah, sorry, I haven't been getting notifications about responses. The petals that I used were completely dry, it's better to use dry ones or they look kind of floppy. If they don't conform to the shape of the cake you can turn the petal around so that the curved side fits up against the edge of the tier. It isn't very noticeable when you do it, but it makes the petals fit on the cake better. Here's a photo pf another one I did, and I've circled where the petals that were turned around were. I can tell by looking carefully that the curve is going toward the cake, not away from it like most of the petals, but they still blend in.

For a two-tiered cake you'll need the center flower plus about 10-12 each of four sizes of petals. I use a rose petal cutter set with the first size being the same as the outer layer of petals on the center flower, and the other three sizes just getting bigger. The largest one is actually a round biscuit cutter that I pinched on one side to make it a rose petal shape, so it's pretty big.

[postimage id="3373" thumb="900"]

stephsweetreats Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks so much everyone!  And thank you for the additional info @costumeczar ‍ ; super helpful and appreciated!

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 2:07am
post #12 of 12

I've done this cake a few times and I assemble on site.  I pack my petals separated by size so I can easily work from smaller to larger.  I find that the petals are kind of heavy (...at least mine are!) and it works best when I glue them on with melted Candy Melts.  So it's helpful if you have access to a microwave.  

I actually think you would be safe to transport a 2-tier cake pre-assembled if you don't have to far to go.  

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%