Using Honey In Italian Buttercream

Baking By BlueEyedBonnie321 Updated 21 Mar 2016 , 7:20pm by BlueEyedBonnie321

BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 5

I've been trying to make a buttercream completely made out of honey. I found a recipe that I love and it taste great, but I don't know if Italian buttercream are suppose to be fluffy or not. I've never made a frosting with any type of sugar.

Original Recipe:

1 1/3 cups plus 1 TBSP sugar, divided

1/2 cup water

4 large egg whites

1/4 TSP salt

1 1/2 cups salted butter

2 TSP vanilla extract.

All I did was change the sugar to 1 cup and 1 TBSP honey and took out the water. Basically heat honey to 240° F, whip egg whites still soft peaks. Add all honey while beating egg whites and keep beating for 10 minutes then adding 1 TBSP of butter at a time when the mixture is cool.

I may just have a crappy piping bag and tip (dollar store bought....sigh)

4 replies
810whitechoc Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 8:17am
post #2 of 5

I regularly make IMBC but have never made it with honey.  Basically any meringue based buttercream (which is what IMBC is) starts with making a meringue.  Maybe if you think about it slightly differently you might have a better chance of success.

I have never tried this but I would do some googling, there are honey meringue recipes out there, try perfecting your honey meringue first then take the next step of adding butter to make a buttercream.  You don't say what is wrong with your buttercream but I can pipe IMBC with any piping tip no matter how cheap it is, so long as the texture of the buttercream is correct.

BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 5

the texture is smooth and kinda like velvet, but I guess when I pipe, I feel like there's a lack in volume. Unless there's not suppose to be much volume.

810whitechoc Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 9:02am
post #4 of 5

Meringue buttercreams are smooth and velvety, if you have only used buttercreams or frostings made with icing sugar/powdered sugar it may feel different to what you are used to.  Does it hold it's shape when you pipe it?

BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 5

900_using-honey-in-italian-bu_98625256f0497dbf522.pngI only have one type of piping tip and with that it looks like it holds it shape. It's looks like this but more smooth not broken. I didn't have a picture of my own so I had to try and find one that was similar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%