Wilton Cake Instructors....

Decorating By busymom9501 Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 2:50am by TexasSugar

busymom9501 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9501 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:53am
post #1 of 10

Is it normal for Wilton Cake class instructors to be somewhat inexperienced?? I just finished course 1 and my instructor had never hear of:

1) the Faux Fondant Technique
2) Frozen Buttercream Transfers
3) and had never used gum paste before.

I guess I was dissapointed that I knew more than she did and that's just because of this site! ha. I was hoping she could give me some tips/pointers but unfortunately she wasn't much help.

Thank goodness I have my cake friends here!!! ha.

9 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

Sure. They may only be familiar with the "Wilton Way". Maybe that person is comfortable just knowing the basics and is comfortable teaching them. Not everyone will know about the world outside of Wilton unless they really want to start diving deep into the world of cakes. That is where this site, books, other classes, etc. come in to play. The items that you mentioned are not things that Wilton teaches, so it is fair to say that if Wilton is the only thing this person knows, then they would not hear of these techniques. Who knows, maybe you can get her interested in "the beyond Wilton". Wilton is a great teaching tools, but it really is just the basics and for beginners (though professionals have claimed to learn something new too... icon_wink.gif ), so please don't think her less of a cake instructor because she does not know things that are not part of the Wilton cirriculum.

busymom9501 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 10

That makes sense! And I in NO WAY think any less of her or anything. She was really knoweldgeable at the things she taught us. I guess I was just expecting more but didn't think about her only knowing Wilton techniques. I really hope I didn't come across as snobby! haha.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom9501

That makes sense! And I in NO WAY think any less of her or anything. She was really knoweldgeable at the things she taught us. I guess I was just expecting more but didn't think about her only knowing Wilton techniques. I really hope I didn't come across as snobby! haha.

Nope you didn't! icon_biggrin.gif Now is your chance to teach her some things! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 10

I don't know that I would use the word inexperinced because she doesn't know those things. Everyone has their comfort levels and the things they are good at.

Wilton Instructors get looked at as those all knowing cake people, but you have to remember that many of us are just average people that are sharing a hobby with others. We don't go to cake school to learn to teach the classes. Many of us learned by taking the Wilton Classes.

As was mentioned earlier we are suppose to only show the Wilton Way in class. While there are some that deviate from the Lesson Plan here and there, according to Wilton we should teach only what they have in the lesson plans.

Invite her to join the board (after you ask for this thread to be deleted) and maybe she might be interested in learning more.

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10

As a WMI there are still a lot of things I do not know. But like it was said they just show us their way(Wilton). I have learned a lot form here and watching shows and reading books. I was lucky that my instructor knew a lot of stuff and took her own seperate lessons for herself.

busymom9501 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #7 of 10

I REALLY hope I didn't offend anybody with this post!! I'm a newbie here and the last thing I want to do is make enemies right off the bat! haha.

I'm honestly glad I started this question because you all made excellent points. Like I said before, my expectations were just way too high and I assumed that if little ol' newbie me knew these things that she would too.

AND, like I also said before, she was a wonderful instructor and I hope to have her again because she WAS very knowlegable in what she did know.

I WILL have to invite her here! She does wedding cakes and I KNOW she could find some useful new tools on here!

This has become my favorite new internet spot! haha. I can't say enough about how much everyone here has helped me starting out! Knock on wood, I've yet to come across someone who hasn't been helpful.

So...on that note....I'm off to learn some more! icon_biggrin.gif

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

I wasn't offended by this. We are all at different levels and we should be proud of the work we do.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:04am
post #9 of 10

Inexperienced? No. Knowledge outside of the box? Yes.

Remember that you're taking a Wilton course. Unfortunately, they don't teach the CC Method. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:50am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom9501

I REALLY hope I didn't offend anybody with this post!!

Nope not offended. icon_smile.gif

I've been teaching for almost three years, and I can say that I have learned a lot in the last three years. I learn new things from my students, and I learn new things from places like this.

I enjoy teaching the Wilton way because I see it as a beginning point for a lot of people. The Wilton classes are widely available and are affordable. I do let my students know there is a life outside of Wilton, but even when you find it, it's nice to have the basics there to draw on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%