Divorce Cake

Decorating By kokorules Updated 16 Mar 2016 , 10:37pm by kokorules

kokorules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokorules Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 8

Hello!

I am a beginner hobby baker. My friend asked me to make her mom a divorce cake with a ball and chain atop the cake. Could anyone give suggestions on how to make the ball and chain? If there are any links to tutorials, I'd appreciate it!  Also, do you know of any other fondant brands besides Wilton? I attempted to make homemade marshmallow fondant and was unsuccessful. Thank you! 

7 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 8

I made this grooms cake last September. I just used fondant with tylose for the chain.

[postimage id="3113" thumb="900"]

kokorules Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 8

That's a lovely cake! Is the ball cake? If so, did you use any specific pans?

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 8

Yep the ball is cake; I just made a bunch of layers and carved it to get the shape I wanted.

billigardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billigardner Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 8

Choco-Pan is a great fondant. 

basketpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketpam Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 8

I LOVE this cake and it fits one of my favorite criteria for a keeper idea, it can be used for a variety of functions.  I can see it as a groom's cake as long as everyone has a sense of humor.  I can see it as a divorce cake but there should somehow show the chain being broken I would think to represent divorce.  I would imagine there are a few other times someone might want this cake but its just brilliant.

basketpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketpam Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 8

What about using the Wilton mini ball or soccer ball or I think there is even one or two other "ball" cake forms they have. That way you wouldn't have to worry about carving it. Now you may be far better than I am at carving, if so, go for it.  Then as far as the shirt that reminds me of some other forms.  If nothing else it looks like an upside bell.  If you have a bell shape pan that would work. If not, then use a bell cookie cutter, trace it, and keep enlarging the shape until you get the pattern to the size you want.  These are just ideas.  But as I mentioned in the comment previously, I would somehow show the chain as broken otherwise it looks as if she's still attched to the ball and chain.  Oh.....and put the ex's name on the ball so they ALL get the idea.

kokorules Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you! I'll check the soccer balls out and fondant out. I'm making cookies to go along with the cake, so they'll know. Lol 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%