Steak Cake Help?

Decorating By cakezilla91 Updated 28 Mar 2016 , 4:42pm by cakezilla91

cakezilla91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakezilla91 Posted 15 Mar 2016 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 5

Hi y'all! 

I need help doing a steak cake, and tried contacting Pieceofcakebyrita (but it seems like she's been inactive for a while). I'm all good till it comes to the color of the cake.

How do I achieve the color of the 'fat' and the brown marks on it, as well as the deep dark bloody red of the steak?

I also have no idea how to do the A in the circle. I'm terrible at freehand which is why I usually avoid it, is there a way to get that on there without messing it up? 

Thank you in advance for your help guys! 

[postimage id="2982" thumb="900"]

4 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 15 Mar 2016 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 5

I would paint the fat with a touch of brown color thinned with vodka / clear extract. The red,  you can mix some black or brown fondant into your red fondant. For the "A" you could look for a couple of circle and letter stamps, and then use thinned color as the ink, or you could use circle and letter cutters as stamps in the same fashion. Alternately, you could use circle and letter cutters to press the shapes onto the fondant and then you would have a guide to paint over.

cakezilla91 Posted 15 Mar 2016 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks melmar02! The circle and letter cutters sound like a great idea. Do I cover the cake in white fondant and then paint on the brown thinned with vodka? Or do I start with a creamier color like copper/fleshtone? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 5

I would start w/a creamier, slightly brown color, then brush with the thinned fleshtone - maybe a mix of flesh & brown.  Fleshtone , as I remember,  tends to be a bit on the pink side but the brown, even thinned may be too dark.  

cakezilla91 Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys! The cake came out decent, but my friend loved it! 

[postimage id="3394" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%