Cake Extenders?

Baking By pupplepup Updated 14 Mar 2016 , 8:08pm by ropalma

pupplepup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pupplepup Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all. Can I get some info on cake extenders? From browsing the internet, there were comments that cake extenders help keep a cake flat. I need to make a 13 * 9 cake without a bulge in the middle. I've also run across numerous variations for extenders. Do all these variations work? Is there one that works better than others?

One extender I found calls for instant pudding.  So, if I have a cake recipe that calls for a cake mix and pudding, do I get a second box of pudding for the cake extender? Kind of confusing.

What I'm trying to do is make a 13 * 9 "flat" pumpkin cake with a no-bake pumpkin cheesecake on top of that and a no-bake pumpkin pie on top of that. 

4 replies
pupplepup Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 5

p.s. How do I get an Avatar? Can't seem to post one. Specific size or something?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 5

If you use my recipe here: http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe , following all the hints, baking instructions etc you will get a perfect, flat, 9x13 cake.  There will be no bulge/hump in the middle.   BUT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

you CANNOT serve this cake/pie combination without inviting me to sample it 1st !  LOL

Don't know about avatars.

pupplepup Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help. How would this cake go with adding instant pudding to the mix? I need to add a box of pumpkin pudding for flavor along with extra pudding for use as a "poke cake." It gets complicated.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 14 Mar 2016 , 8:08pm
post #5 of 5

Here is my recipe which has a box of pudding.

one box vanilla cake mix

one cup flour

one cup sugar

one cup sour cream

4 eggs

dash salt

1/3 cup oil

one box vanilla instant pudding

½ cup of milk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%