Can I Use Fillings For Tiered-Fondant Cakes?

Baking By diana_mozo Updated 13 Mar 2016 , 1:50pm by -K8memphis

diana_mozo Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 3

hi. i was wondering if i could use some fillings (a custard, fruit, jams, etc.) for tiered cakes or fondant cakes.

And also, I'm making a vanilla cake filled with whipped cream, strawberries and dulce de leche. is the cream strong enough to pipe a dam around the cake so that the fillings doesn't oose out, and can i use it to frost the cake on the outside? how big should i cut the strawberries? thank you a lot!

2 replies
costumeczar Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 12:06am
post #2 of 3

Whipped cream isn't the best thing to use for a tiered cake that's going to be made in advance because it's going to deflate after a while. Especially if you're covering it with fondant...Not a good idea. I'd use a strawberry meringue buttercream or sliced strawberries in buttercream, not whipped cream with strawberries. It won't be sturdy enough to act as a dam and it's going to turn into a disaster.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 3

very true -- whipped cream does not make a secure dam --

however whipped cream turns to butter if over whipped right? so whip the cream to just before it turns to butter -- it will hold fine and never deflate -- when i encase strawberries in wc for a filling i surround it with a dam of buttercream and of course keep it all well refrigerated -- 

and i agree that this is an advanced type of cake to handle and sell and present -- must be done with great care -- can lead to certain disaster in several ways

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%