How To Make A White Chocolate Cake Wrap?

Decorating By weluvpiggies Updated 13 Mar 2016 , 5:32pm by Apti

weluvpiggies Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I've made a couple of dark chocolate cake wraps and they were pretty easy, but  I once tried to do the same thing with white chocolate and it was a disaster.  I melted Ghirardelli's white chocolate chips and the chocolate began to set within just a few minutes.  I hadn't even finished piping the design and it was completely set and cracking where I had begun. 

Does anyone know a recipe I would use to make a white chocolate wrap that would stay pliable as long as a dark chocolate wrap? 

Thanks so much!smiley.png

6 replies
Apti Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 6:25am
post #2 of 7

Even though lots of stuff is called "chocolate", the results with each product can be VERY different.   Additionally, the word chocolate can mean a product with cocoa butter that requires tempering and is very finicky; or a type of confectionary coating with little to no cocoa butter that does not require tempering.   A huge number of products called 'chocolate' are actually confectionary coatings with palm oil vs. the more expensive cocoa butter.

Milk chocolate has (big surprise coming here....) milk in it (milk = more liquid in the base chocolate compound/mixture, hence a softer chocolate with less "snap"

Dark chocolate has less liquid (no milk) and has more "snap" when cooled.

White chocolate is not really chocolate at all--it is a compound coating and will behave more like milk chocolate than dark chocolate.

Chips (whether dark, milk or white) will have an additive added to the mixture that enables the substance to look like a 'chip' and retain the 'chip' shape without melting at a lower temp.   I love to use Ghiradelli white chocolate chips to make ganache, but will not use it to make a wrap.

To make wraps, I suggest you use one of these two products which will perform more like the dark chocolate wraps you have tried.

Guittard White Chocolate A'Peels (a confectionary coating mixture)

Merckens White Chocolate (a confectionary coating mixture)

weluvpiggies Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Apti!   I've never heard of those products, but it looks like they are available online.  Do you know of a store that carries them?

Also, are these the same as 'Wilton Candy Melts'?

Thanks!smiley.png

Apti Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 2:54am
post #4 of 7

You are very welcome.  If you have a specialty cake or candy making store nearby, call them and they probably have either the Merckens brand or the Guittard A'Peels brand.   These taste and perform better, but Wilton Candy Melts will also work.

If you buy Wilton candy melts, you may need to "thin" them when melted. 

Best option:

Guittard A'Peels or Merckens Brand

If you can't find either, then use Wilton candy melts.

I strongly recommend you also purchase a product called Paramount Crystals (2 to 6 ounces).  Here's an excellent short video:

Why don't you start with the Wilton Candy Melts (use coupons! when you buy at a craft store), see how you like 'em, then you can move up to the other products later if you like.

weluvpiggies Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 7

Perfect!  Thanks so much, I will do just that!

weluvpiggies Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 7

One last thing, Apti, do the Guittard A'Peels or Merckens Brands come colored?  If not, what's the best way to color them?  Thanks!smiley.png

Apti Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 7

The Merckens comes in a ton of colors, don't know about the A'Peels.  I typically buy Guittard Dark Chocolate A'Peels and white A'Peels (because I have access to a wholesale store nearby that sells to hobby bakers at wholesale pricing when you buy 25 lb. box).  Then I'll use colored Wilton candy melts (purchased with coupons) at a craft store like Michaels to tint the white A'Peels into pastel colors.   

If you want STRONG colors, you'll be best served by using Merckens colored wafers or the Wilton candy melts. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%