How Was This Camouflage Done?

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 31 Aug 2016 , 8:48pm by Creativeconfectioner

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 12

I have had several people send me this picture and I don't have any idea how the camo side was done. 

It looks like an edible image, but since it is a round cake I don't understand how they applied it without being wrinkled.

Does anyone know how this was done?

TIA.

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 12

There's no photo attached, do you have a link?

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 12

Sorry!

Pink-and-camo-bridal.jpg

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 12

Edible image?

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 12

Hit submit before I was ready Lol if it is hand painted, it is amazing and it looks like a lot of work!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 12

i'm going with edible image because the pattern repeats -- i'd been hard pressed to not let a few sticks poke out of the pink side and a leetle pink slip into the camo -- just a little :)

Njewett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Njewett Posted 11 Jun 2016 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 12

Hello,

I have been asked to make the cake in this post.  I was wondering if you have any tips on how to line up the edible image so the top lines up with the side.  I have purchased edible image to practice with.  I was planning on cutting a half circle for the top and then cutting a strip for the side from same general area as we're the half circle was cut.  Any tips on making this cake would be greatly appreciated.

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 12 Jun 2016 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 12

Since the design is rather busy, I wonder if you could wrap the sides and then cut notches (like a series do small v-shaped cutouts) that would then be pressed up over the edge and onto the exposed portion of the top. The pattern is busy enough that I bet it would blend right in and no one would know, and you could get that smooth edge look by avoiding a seam.

Njewett Posted 13 Jun 2016 , 12:12am
post #9 of 12

Jselle, thank you for tip.  I will be making a test cake this week and will try what you suggested. 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 13 Jun 2016 , 8:06am
post #10 of 12

It is a repeated edible image sheet it's called "Mossy Oak Woodland Camo" applied very carefully, it's available online.

Njewett Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 2:14am
post #11 of 12

Help, I can not get the edible image to go on seamless. I tried Jselle suggestions and I had cracks in the image.  I am using Swiss meringue buttercream frosting and the image is not absorbing into it.  I have also tried the tutorial with digital camo with no luck.  Is possible the edible image sugar sheet is too thick.  Does one have any suggestions?

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 12

Its a printed wafer paper that was adhered to the cake with piping gel...

http://www.cakeart.us/Camo-8-x-10-Background-sheet-choice-wafer-paper-or-Frosting-sheet-_p_265.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%