Permissions For Characters

Business By mlkcakelady123 Updated 8 Mar 2016 , 2:03pm by Webake2gether

mlkcakelady123 Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 3:03am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I know you have to get permission from companies like disney, tex to use thier characters etc... I have not yet had to do that. But when I would get a request for one... Does anyone know what for example disney would require?? One time fee? How much? How quickly can i can permission? Days weeks? 

4 replies
maybenot Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 6:19am
post #2 of 5

There's no sure answer.  Some will grant it, some won't---some won't even answer--some charge a licensing fee [$$$$], some allow limited use for a one-time event, Disney will likely never allow it. 

It's always best to tell the client that they need to get--and pay for--any permissions, and of course, they must be able to prove [and you must verify] that it's all valid and correct.--unless they're paying you handsomely for the time you'll use to do so. 

The option is to offer a cake as a set/background for toys/props purchased by the client.  Saves time and aggravation.

johnson6ofus Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 7:11am
post #3 of 5

Quote by @maybenot on 47 minutes ago

The option is to offer a cake as a set/background for toys/props purchased by the client.  Saves time and aggravation.

The "bigger" the character, the more likely you will not get permission. They just don't do it...period. Amazed that I was at a large national cake show, and saw plenty of Disney characters. I am sure no one had permission. 

Do what "everyone else" does and use them anyway (ripping of the company that owns them and the artists who made them) or do what maybenot recommended above. 

You decide. 

costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 5

Good for you for wanting to use characters legally, but I'm still laughing at the "one time fee" for Disney characters, that's good stuff.

Disney has a very long and detailed list of what you have to do and what kind of business history you have to have to qualify for applying to use their characters. 

Here's the basic stuff:

Contacts for food items:®ion=0&ccPK=null

I know that there's another page somewhere that lists a long set of categories that includes baked goods for licensing, but I can't find that one. If I have it bookmarked on my other computer I'll post it later. It basically says that you have to be in business for X number of years before you can apply, etc etc.

Webake2gether Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 5

Days or weeks it's more like months or maybe never.  I'm still waiting for an answer from Harper-Collins for a wild things cake I did in January and I contacted them in November so you can imagine the time it takes other companies such as Disney or marvel to respond.  I did the cake minus the characters and I was glad to not have done them. 

As far as fees to use them if you are granted permission you could be looking into the thousands of dollars range. It's expensive to follow the rules and like mentioned above some disregard them and do them anyway it's up you to decide your stance on them. We choose not to do them without using a licensed decopac or edible image (be careful with those too people sell illegal edible images everywhere online even amazon) so only purchase them through a legitimate business who has the rights to sell them. We actually do very few character cakes anymore bc we raised our prices and that naturally weeded them out  most customers looking for character cakes are also the ones who have a small budget for the cake in my area at least. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%