The Best Substitute For Fondant Molded Roses.

Decorating By Skullzgirl6 Updated 9 Mar 2016 , 12:01am by -K8memphis

Skullzgirl6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skullzgirl6 Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 13

I am interested in a non-fondant clay or paste for silicone molds that: tastes decent, easy to store for a week without losing texture and/or taste.

I want to start attaching molded thingies to my cookies that are not hard, tasteless or crack your teeth when you eat them.

Is there such an animal?

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 1:11am
post #2 of 13

yes it's called rolled buttercream -- push it in the mold then freeze to remove -- tastes wonderful -- holds definition well -- storing is whereit is weakest -- they will hold for a week but they won't stack exactly like royal  -- if you maybe added some cornstarch you might could get more dryness kwim--

but you will be a fan  -- it's nutso good on cookies

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 1:15am
post #3 of 13

if you Google 'rolled buttercream recipe cake central' you will get many choices --

another idea is any flavor fudge

Skullzgirl6 Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 3:58am
post #4 of 13

Thank you K8.

Can I make mini roses in a mold and keep them for when I need them?  Will the taste & texture change?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 4:11am
post #5 of 13

[postimage id="2901" thumb="900"]        modeling chocolate red roses formed with silicone molds, green modeling chocolate cut out of plunger cutters.  They get firm, but never break your teeth, and taste much better than fondant with tylose.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 13

i mean i would make just plain buttercream roses, buds etc. days in advance of a cake so they could dry and be handled easily -- i never made these rolledbuttercream items that far in advance but i don't see why that would not work -- it's easy to make -- just mix it up -- but what i would want to do is make them in white and airbrush them to order as needed -- don't see why that wouldn't be worth testing -- like i said add cornstarch but you still want it to mold well so there's a balance --

but you could get a dedicated following by making small bite cookies that pack a flavor wallop-- that could be ready in a snap for offices doing birthdays/showers/retirements or whatever -- chocolate fudge molds on top -- office people look for excuses to celebrate when you make it easy for them to order/pick up --

so you gotta test it for it's holding capabilities  but -- mold, freeze to unmold, store room temperature -- then to apply -- when you put the cookies in the oven, put the rolled buttercream toppers in the freezer and just place them frozen on the hot cookie to adhere -- and that means you can cut out the same shapes too -- jillions of possibilities

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with the idea of modeling chocolate. Easy to use, keeps its shape, and much better on a cookie than gumpaste or fondant.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 13

I agree with the idea of modeling chocolate. Easy to use, keeps its shape, and much better on a cookie than gumpaste or fondant.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 13

Sorry for the dumb question,when you say modeling chocolate, is that real chocolate?  Can I use ghirardelli chips?  In my neck of the woods, candy melts are loosely referred to as " chocolate". I own a lot of the molds, that are collecting dust, this would be great way to use them.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 13

google "how to make modeling chocolate." Tons of info available. real chocolate with cocoa butter & candy melts all work. 

Skullzgirl6 Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 10:46pm
post #11 of 13

I guess I'm not being clear.

I want to be able to make molded roses, etc with a fondant substitute, and be able to keep them for when I need them. 

I want to attach them to my cookies that will be put in a cello bag and then shipped to the customer.

I want the same options, if possible, that royal icing roses offer as far as staying fresh for a month at the most.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 13

marzipan is another option

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 12:01am
post #13 of 13

sorry i don't see the disconnect where you needed to clear up your request -- you have a handful of potential answers that might work so you need to do some testing to see how it goes -- i've never held anything exactly like these mediums for a month and then sold them -- don't know

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%