Kitchen Layout

Business By LionheartCakes Updated 8 Mar 2016 , 1:02am by -K8memphis

LionheartCakes Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 10

Hi!

I am in the process of starting a cake business.  I will have a fully finished custom shed next to my house.  It will be 12'dx24'w with a commercial kitchen.  I am trying to figure out the best layout for the kitchen.  I will have double doors in the front center.  The kitchen part will be to the right when you walk in and I plan to have a desk to the left and a work table in the center. 

What is the best layout to have the appliances?  I have a 28" wide fridge and a 28" wide freezer.  I still need to get my full size commercial oven and sinks.  But I need to draw up my plans for where these things will be so the builder knows where to put my outlets and plumbing.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

TIA!

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 10

a custom shed? it needs to be all up to code of course so you'll need insulated properly fire proofed walls and flooring and one of the most important things of all is take some money and get a professional marketing study done -- see what the experts in your area say about your chances to make it happen in this day and time where everyone has been born again with a silver spatula --

some people even push back when i give this advice and say 'why are you intimidated by people doing cakes?' it's the silly people that don't want to hear about and prepare for the very real challenges -- the market is saturated with cakers and several more marching up right behind to take their place when they burn out -- so it's not a good/easy/money-making field to get into -- certainly not a good one to invest a ton of money into either -- 

so do yourself a favor and get a market study done first -- "formal examination to determine if selling a product or service is worth pursuing. Typically the study used to explore geographic or demographic markets. Also called feasibility study."

you need to get with your city leaders, code enforcement, health department and zoning unless they have already signed off on your plans but no they couldn't if you haven't drawn them up yet --

best to you

LionheartCakes Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 10

I have been dealing with the health department, zoning department, civil engineer.  The shed will be fully insulated and have electricity run in it.  Didn't just decided to do this.  We have been talking and planning for a while now.    But thanks :)

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 10

what are your thoughts on a feasibility study or did you already have one done?

LionheartCakes Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks.. but that isn't what I am trying to ask here.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 10

what kind of baking will you be doing -- will you have employees

LionheartCakes Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 10

Mostly cakes.  But also cupcakes some cookies.. maybe cake pops.  It will just be me.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 10

lionheart, my friend -- how will you sell your cakes -- are you doing wholesale like to restaurants/caterers or custom type birthday and wedding cakes, customer pick up or will you deliver --consults on site-- or like selling weekends at farmer's markets -- or are you doing retail from your location? or a couple of those?

here's one thing from what you said -- i suggest you get a commercial dishwasher -- you can get them the same size as an under counter home dishwasher but they cycle much faster and hotter-- if you're going to be by yourself you'll need one of those -- then you can get a smaller footprint sink -- just one or both need to be able to hold your largest pan

working off a speed rack is important for efficiency < $200 with a cover -- you just roll it back & forth from worktable to oven from oven back to wall space -- saves your back -- 

it kinda depends on your windows/lighting -- ideally you'll want your photo booth and decorating table by the window for light -- I guess since you're building the shed you can put the windows anywhere?

you using gas or electric oven? running gas line from your house costs per foot so the closer to the house the better or use electric -- and for a cook top i'd use a couple induction burners -- 

as far as where to put the plumbing -- you running new lines from the street? with the drain? again the closer the better -- so that might help a little?

littlejewel Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 10

Sounds exciting. I'm not good at imagining what it looks like in my head.  When I did work I.food they were large commercial kitchen. If there are some smaller establishments (not one that is considered a rival) they may let you look at their kitchens.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 1:02am
post #10 of 10

where's the bathroom? all the plumbing should be in one area -- the bathroom on the opposite wall from the main sink & dishwasher (if you have one) you'll need a mop sink & hand sink so building out around that -- in tn the bathroom cannot open into the kitchen -- could open into the office -- so much local stuff to consider --

usually there's a best place to put the big items aka plumbing -- so while the builders can put them or rough them in anywhere there's money considerations as to where it's best to place them then you hang the rest of it around that --

so you need a plumber's recomendations -- you need to find out about putting in a drain-- it's a major dealio if it is required --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%