Dummy Cakes For Design

Decorating By BarbaratheBaker Updated 17 Apr 2016 , 4:12pm by BarbaratheBaker

BarbaratheBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaratheBaker Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone one. :)

I will be making a sweet sixteen cake. The mom wants the design to be three tiers, but only two tiers will be actual cake. I have never done one like this before. So my question is, do I ask for the dummy cake back? Seems very tacky, but those are not cheap and I am not charging her for the design of the dummy cake. Any advise you guys can give would be great. Thank you! 

7 replies
RosemaryGalpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosemaryGalpin Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 8

Barbara you should definitely charge her for the dummy! Although it is not cake it costs, the fondant or butter cream covering costs,  the decorations coast and more importantly,  tour time costs so all these things need to factor into the price! Unless you are in the fake cake rental business where you can reuse the design charge her and let her keep it. Remember that the only thing you are saving on is prep & bake time and ingredients so make sure you don't undercharge!

Stand Firm,

Rosemary

MsLiaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsLiaJ Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 8

BarbaratheBaker

It's like you're in my head!!! I was wondering the same exact thing!!

RosemaryGalpin

awesome advice! thank you!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 8

I charge 80% of the regular cost of a real cake for dummy cakes. Definitely charge her for it! If it's too late for that get it back, at least.

RosemaryGalpin Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 8

Quote by @costumeczar on 12 minutes ago

I charge 80% of the regular cost of a real cake for dummy cakes. Definitely charge her for it! If it's too late for that get it back, at least.

I totally agree! I'm about the same for costs.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 8

It is totally possible to re use styro 'cakes' again & again.  I would charge ...... the 80% sounds good *&* ask for it back.  I have reused styro many, many times before it becomes gummy and ugly :)    they are great for trying new techniques and designs.

RosemaryGalpin Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 8

I agree! They are totally reusable. My daughter brings garbage bags to the competitions we enter to collect all the dummy cakes that people throw away. People look her up to give her theirs these days lol! Almost every entry she does is on recycled blanks!

BarbaratheBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaratheBaker Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you everyone for such great advice!! I will definitely charge next time. I was a dummy cake in my design.  bowtie.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%