I Am Trying To Figure Out How To Price Cakes And Stuff...

Business By cupcakegirl93 Updated 11 Mar 2016 , 8:04pm by craftybanana2

cupcakegirl93 Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 12:02am
post #1 of 8

900_i-am-trying-to-figure-out_96427256db737da81e7.jpg

HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHARGE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS???

i AM I SCHOOL FOR BAKING AND PASTRY AND MY DREAM IS TO OPEN MY OWN BAKERY BUT I AM IN NEED OF SOME ADVICE AND HELP ABOUT PRICING..

7 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 7:53am
post #2 of 8

Pricing is always difficult, especially when you start out. Can you make that cake?  Price is based on serving number and the skill of the decorator. Area also affects price as high rents= higher cost of goods. 

Schooling, practice and dreams are awesome and where many start... but price is based on the quality of the product you produce and sell. 

Cupcakes $1-$3 each, cake $1-$5 per serving (per chart)+ upcharge for the fondant sculpting on top. (And the $1/ serving bakers are killing themselves for no profit). 

cupcakegirl93 Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 8

I know everytime i make a cake its like i do a good job but i never see a profit. I really appreciate your help and advice. I'm looking foward to happy baking and a nice profit

costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 8

Good for you for wanting to make a profit, a lot of people don't seem to know what aht word means worried.png

You should figure out all of your costs including materials, annual fees like licenses and insurance, cost of gas to go to the store, etc. etc. That goes into your pricing for each item that you sell. Then figure out how much you want to make per hour and how much you want to make as profit, and that should go into it too. You have to do the numbers for yourself, since things are different for everyone and it also depends where you're located.

Never just take the cost of materials and multiply it times 3, or whatever that formula is. That isn't the right way to price custom anything, you won't be paid enough for your time if you do it that way.

costumeczar Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 8

Haha! Ironically, it won't let me edit my typo when i misspelled "that" in the first sentence. So maybe you won't know what "aht" word means either, oh well.

cupcakegirl93 Posted 7 Mar 2016 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you , Costumeczar.. I appreciate the response

Cakes_and_Faith Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 5:03am
post #7 of 8

Hey cupcakegirl93,

I'm not sure where you are from but where I am in GA this would easily cost $85+. 

craftybanana2 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 8

And just to give you an idea of how areas/markets differ, this if it was an 8"  it would easily be $150+, and I'm not in a rich area.

So $85 vs $150 and up from there. :) Take a business class while you are in school. You may not think it's worth it, but get a teacher who's passionate about business and you'll get lots of awesome info about business plans, pricing, market research, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%