Covering A Massive Board!

Decorating By Hollybellworthy Updated 5 Mar 2016 , 2:31pm by -K8memphis

Hollybellworthy Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 4

Hiya,

i am making a cake for my nephews birthday that will require a 24 x 18 inch board which will need to be covered. Iv never covered a board of this size before (biggest prob a 16inch square) so any tips for working with larger sizes and does anyone know roughly how much fondant/sugar paste I will need to colour up? Alternatively has anyone had any success with flooding a larger board with royal icing? Thank you! 

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 4

When I cover boards I do it last, after the cake is decorated but before the borders are put on the bottom of the bottom tier. That way you can be as messy as you want with the board until then, and you only need to put a strip of gumpaste or fondant around the bottom tier instead of covering the whole thing. I don't know if that will work with what you're thinking of doing, but it would save a lot of fondant!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 4

good idea and it can also be done in advance -- just a strip around the edges as deep as it needs to be -- let it dry so it doesn't get marred -- no i can't remember flooding anything that big -- make sure of course that your board is perfectly inflexible not that you don't know that just tossing it in there 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Mar 2016 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 4

in fact i would roll out a large circle then rip the center open so it will stretch/mold/handle better and glue/place and trim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%