Cost And Servings Of A Rainbow Cake

Baking By bridinney Updated 4 Mar 2016 , 10:55pm by Jinkies

bridinney Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone. I have never made a cake for profit before (usually I volunteer for family members or they will go out and buy all the stuff) and I recently had a family friend ask me to make a cake. She wants a rainbow cake covered in fondant. Basically the only fondant decorations I will be making is the shopkins logo as she is buying some to put on top. She would like to feed around 10 people. I was thinking an 8 inch or a 6 inch. I would not be making the layers the whole 2 inches and instead, thinking of dividing the batter so each layer comes to about one inch or a bit shorter. I have no idea many the rainbow cake serves as I normally bake two rounds, split them in half and end up with four layers that I am filling. Basically I am now making three layers and halving them. I am also stumped on what to charge. The ingredients alone are around $18-$28 depending on which size I do. I noticed people charge more for rainbow cakes since they require extra time but I am just not sure. Right now, I was thinking $50 for the 6 inch and $65 for the 8 inch. Any insight would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

1 reply
Jinkies Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 2

Hi there.  A rainbow cake would have at least 6 layers so matter how thin you torte them, it will be a pretty tall cake.  A 6" would easily feed 10 people.

If you have at least  three 6" pans, you can do one recipe of white cake and just bake it in two batches.  They would be pretty thin layers so they would bake fast.  While the first batch is baking, you can be coloring the second 3 layers.

As far as price, that is up to you.  I would definitely charge a little more than my base price for the added work.  That being said, I don't personally offer anything smaller than an 8" cake (unless they wanna pay an 8" price for a 6" cake) because, really, a 6" is the same amount of work as an 8".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%