How Much Should I Charge For A Custom Made Cupcakes

Business By Annelyse801 Updated 6 Mar 2016 , 11:47am by 810whitechoc

Annelyse801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annelyse801 Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 6:43am
post #1 of 7

Hello,

I was wondering how much should I charge for 50 cupcakes. I have to make 25 "popcorn" themed (I did my research based on the picture I was sent, looks like I have to work with mini marshmallows and "shape" em, color them, etc) I also have a few options as far as the liners. I can download the print to place it around the cupcake after, to resemble a popcorn bag. And the other 25 are "snow cone" themed, these seemed less work, just 3 different colors of sanding sugar and the little spoon.

With that being said, how much should I charge. I don't bake for a living, just for friends and family, but I guess ppl started to ask me to do their cakes and cupcakes. I'm not professional, but I can say I do a "decent" job. 

6 replies
dariusjgeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dariusjgeorge Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 9:09am
post #2 of 7

First off, I think you should mention where you are located to get a better idea of pricing. Anywhere 0.5$-1$usd should be able to cover your expenses and give you a decent margin. :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 9:56am
post #3 of 7

My price for a cupcake with sculptured topper starts at 3.50 $ p.p. My costs for that are in average 0.75$ But it depends mainly on how much you charge per hour, how much profit you wanna make and how much other expenses are. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 7

Nobody can tell you what to charge, you should figure that out for yourself based on your own costs, but $1 each is way too low unless you enjoy working for less than minimum wage after all your expenses. I have an article about pricing coming up in the next issue of American Cake Decorating, so watch for that for long-term information. In the meantime, figure out all of your business costs and that will be part of it, your food expenses, your time, and your profit. You have to do the work yourself to make it fit your situation.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 7

I'd be at a minimum of $4 each for what you describe.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 7:59am
post #6 of 7

Quote by @dariusjgeorge on 1 day ago

Anywhere 0.5$-1$usd should be able to cover your expenses and give you a decent margin. :)

Wow...I can't imagine at 50 cents that there is ANY margin. I wouldn't turn on my oven for that, even if I stole the ingredients . 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 11:47am
post #7 of 7

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking.  Every time I see one of these posts it makes me realise what a difference location can make to the costs.  For me and the cost of our wages here starting price would be $7.50. Factor in $25.00 per hour plus superannuation and workers comp and the cost for time spent for custom toppers can go through the roof.

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 3 hours ago

Quote by @dariusjgeorge on 1 day ago

Anywhere 0.5$-1$usd should be able to cover your expenses and give you a decent margin. :)

Wow...I can't imagine at 50 cents that there is ANY margin. I wouldn't turn on my oven for that, even if I stole the ingredients . 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%