How To Fix Grainy Buttercream???

Decorating By Grammy_Cakes08 Updated 6 Mar 2016 , 6:16am by karmen.wong

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 3:17am
post #1 of 6

I needed a frosting that could hold better when I pipe large rosettes, so I thought I'd try the Wilton's recipe since I've been hearing a lot of good reviews on it. I just made it today and it turned out really grainy! How could I fix this?

I'm also trying to color it hot pink and I put lots of Wilton rose pink gel but it's still needs to deepen and I don't want to put anymore gel cause I could already start to taste a difference in the frosting. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to fix this, I'd really hate to have to waste all this frosting:( 

5 replies
Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 3:22am
post #2 of 6

Oh and btw I forgot to metion the only thing I did differently was that I didn't add any liquids because I felt like I didn't need to, the consistency seemed just right. 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 4:41am
post #3 of 6

there are a million different food colors out there now but i don't think you can get a hot pink from a rose pink -- you need to get a hot pink color -- maybe there's something else you can mix in there but i just go with hot pink in the first place

and i hate your icing let you down -- i don't know any way to fix the grainy icing either -- to avoid it in the future buy cane sugar products not beet sugar for example Domino's is cane sugar -- it's a tad more money but it's not gritty -- if it doesn't specify on the label cane or beet i don't buy it --

best to you -- sorry i don't have better news -- maybe someone knows what to mix in there but it sounds like you're on the flavor edge anyhow idk

Grammy_Cakes08 Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 11:49am
post #4 of 6

Good news I added hot milk to it and it helped big time! And I added some americolor electric pink and it did the trick..PHEW! Thank you for your advice on the sugar, and for always being so helpful:) @-K8memphis ‍ 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 6

you're so welcome and thank you

great save on the hot milk -- hate to toss something like that  -- you did good!

karmen.wong Posted 6 Mar 2016 , 6:16am
post #6 of 6

Wilton buttercream crusts, and will there for always have some grainy consistency. I dont like crusting buttercreams so i use smbc

Quote by @%username% on %date%