Using Pudding/sour Cream Cake Mix Recipe In Wilton Sports Ball Pan - Cooking Time?

Baking By schustc Updated 3 Mar 2016 , 10:43pm by -K8memphis

schustc Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 5

I have the set in the oven now - it's the pudding/sour cream to cake mix - mix.   The instructions say 325 degrees or follow the temp on the recipe, the recipe says 350.  recipe says 350 for 55 minutes or so for a bundt cake, and 25-30 for 2 9" cake pans.  I'm not wanting to open the oven every 5 minutes from 30 forward - does anyone have any idea how long it will take? i have it at 350.

thank you!

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 5

how did it go? there's too many variables to give a definitive answer -- did it bake ok for you? what did you wind up doing?

schustc Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 5

it did BUT I had a serious overflow issue.  I measured in the cake batter (2.25 cups in each bowl) - i put in 2 cups in each side, then there was just a bit left in the mixing bowl so i scraped it evenly into both sides.  It was too much and it overflowed an spilled onto the heating coils in the oven, nearly had a fire! LOL! it smelled AWFUL!

As for the cooking time, I don't know for sure, because once things started burning, I turned off the oven for a couple minutes to clean up (didn't want to be messing with the coil with the power on) did a quick scrape of the spillage, and turned the oven back on to finish.  I really don't know how long it was in there.  I also trimmed off the top part as it was a bit over done, but the rest I think is going to be fine.  Lesson learned.  What a mess.   LOL! at least I can salvage the cake for decorating tomorrow

-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 5

wow great save! good for you -- next time make cupcakes : )

-K8memphis Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 5

like you hadn't already figured that out ...

Quote by @%username% on %date%