What Did This Happen. Please Help

Baking By Belinda91 Updated 4 Mar 2016 , 12:38am by Pastrybaglady

Belinda91 Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 3

I am a home baker for almost 2 years now. This is the first time this has happened where a big crack was seen around the whole of my cake. Does anyone have any idea how it happened. The cake was refrigerated so it was not melting in any way. 

It is a vanilla cake with coffee simple syrup, i build a dam and filled it with marscapone whipped frosting. This is the first time i am facing such a situation. Please help. 900_what-did-this-happen-ple_98569556d84d45264cc.jpg900_what-did-this-happen-ple_98569556d84d4577cea.jpg

2 replies
BecaCrocker Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 3

It looks like your bottom cake layer collapsed and because the buttercream had hardened it cracked at that layer. Did you perhaps use too much of the syrup? Over saturation can weaken the cake.  Were you there when the cake was cut, could you tell if the bottom cake layer was extremely moist/wet?

Pastrybaglady Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 12:38am
post #3 of 3

Did the cake slide off of the dish?  In the first picture the cake board appears to be at an angle.  If the cake was too wet as Beca mentioned above and then it experienced some kind of impact or the board has too much flex you can end up with a cracked cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%