Avocado Brownies In The Oven

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 2 Mar 2016 , 11:22pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 10:40am
post #1 of 12

i was finally in the right mood at the same time i found a good deal on avocados -- 5 for $5 -- previously i had been in southern california with my sister and she got them 10 for one dollar -- they were minis but still -- it kinda ruins you for similar good deals on avocados after that kwim smile.png

so they are in the oven -- i used two -- i smushed them in the food processor first -- there were a few slivers still intact but should be indistinguishable from butter made brownies by looking at them -- 

what i really wanted to do is use half & half (butter/avocado) but they're getting ripe and we've eaten them several times already...

results in about 15 mins...

11 replies
-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:07am
post #2 of 12

well they baked up beautifully -- and i tried one -- awesome -- how surprising

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 12

come to find out after they cooled i did under bake them a bit but still tasty morsels and they didn't sink like butter made brownies will do -- so i think i'm gonna go half & half next time

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 12

Wow that sounds yummy. I love avocado (and the fact that they are way cheaper here!) for salads, guacamole etc. Never used it for baking though. 

Btw...since it seems you are trying some healthy recipes...try replacing the pasta sheets in your lasagne with courgette  (zucchini) slices ;)

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 12

I've made avocado bread (a quick/sweet bread) before, was quite good.  As far as just eating them, my son loves them as is, nice and soft, but not mushy. Another way to eat them is to mash them up and use it like mayonnaise on your sandwich. I use it on his egg salad sandwiches. I'm not fond of them myself. I think they taste like cold scrambled eggs, ugh.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 12

really good idea on the zucchini slices in lieu of pasta -- i never make lasagna -- when i use store bought pasta (in soup) i use the barilla brand that is made with about 25% veggies

thanks, julia

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 12

crafty -- oh we like them anyhow -- but i can't do cooked mushrooms it's the slimaceous mouth feel >shudder<

and the verdict from my husband is he likes them a lot -- and fwiw most of them got cooked fine only two or three are a teesny bit mushy -- i won't serve them to crafty's son -- hahahahaha

but yeah i just straight up replaced a cup of butter for two avocados -- 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 12

and my flour blend has just a bit of garbanzo bean flour -- but it's not enough bean flavor to be detectable and there's almond 'flour' & other stuff in there too -- and no wheat at all 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 12

Ji find almond flour a bit dry. Also needs more eggs - at least when I bake. Potato flour works good. 

My neighbour is on my toes to make "healthy muffins for her. With - yes almond flour lol - and Shia seeds, maple syrup and coconut oil. She got the recipe from her friend in Canada. The problem for me is that the ingredients are sooo expensive here that I'd rather eat an avocado hahaha! 

At the moment I'm trying the curry route. Am a chilli addict (unfortunately the only one in my family) and have so far established a herb garden, many chilli bushes and curry leaf trees (yeah!) in my garden. Am growing coconut, lime, cashunut, pashion fruit, papaya and castard apple too. So no lack of healthy here!

What is garbanzo???

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 12

wow you have a lot of great growing going on -- i want a garden and i think it's gonna happen this year -- i have been  making caramel corn and my next batch i'm adding cashews -- i can't believe you are growing some! curry leaf? wow -- what kind of apple -- never heard of that kind --

garbanzo is a bean also called a chickpea -- it's what they make humus dips out of --

i agree almond flour by itself would not be too cool -- i put this in a recent post but i'll put it again  -- 

• 1 part protein flour/s
  • 2 parts grain flour/s
  • 2 parts starch flour/s

to combine to get your gluten free flour -- in my case i am going wheat free -- not sure if i am exactly gf -- don't care

so for my 1 part protein flour i use:

• 1/3 part garbanzo flour ( a little less)
  • 1/3 part coconut flour
  • 1/3 part almond flour (a little more)

for the 2 parts starch flours i use:

• 2/3 part tapioca flour
  • 2/3 part potato starch/flour
  • 2/3 part corn starch

for the 2 parts grain flour i use:

• 2/3 part sorghum
  • 2/3 part rice flour
  • 2/3 part oat flour

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 12

Interesting to see what you are using.  I've seen the Gluten-Free Girl blend and what her mix is of and Elana's Pantry (a blog for completely grain free). I based my ratio on what they said. Ratio of 40/60. 40% whole grain and 60% starch. It's also what Apti recommended (plus a bit of xanthum gum) to me on an earlier post. My blend I tried was 40% almond and coconut flour + 60% potato flakes. Didn't work, but I used potato flakes and not flour. The flakes have lots of other things in them. Apparently according to the Elana's Pantry blog, you need to use less fat in the cookies, I used my regular amount and the cookies spread as if I had put marshmallows in the oven. I want to get by my local Asian grocery store (we finally have one, yeah!) and pick up some rice and tapioca flour. I'm hoping they have tapioca pearls too, I hear kids love to play with those because they squish when wet (like edible water beads).

@julia1812 ‍ I'm so jealous of your garden! The only thing the squirrels haven't eaten are the peppers, and we don't eat hot stuff! They sure are pretty though. Time to work the soil and hope the ducks and rodents don't eat too much. The squirrels and sandhill cranes took all my sunflower heads last time.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:22pm
post #12 of 12

craftybanana -- i got that ratio from a book called Gluten-Free 3 Books in 1, Main Dishes, Desserts, Breads page 205 -- that's also where i learned about the double xanthan gum -- it says to watch out for the guar gum too in that respect --

the coconut flour and the bean flour both carry a flavor so i try to keep them at a minimum and use more almond

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%