Sour Warhead Buttercream

Decorating By maof5 Updated 2 Mar 2016 , 7:28pm by maof5

maof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maof5 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 3:01am
post #1 of 9

I offer a wide variety of flavors to my customers, but today I was asked about one that I've never made before. My customer is wanting a Strawberry Warhead buttercream. Does anyone have a recipe that they have used before or recommendations on how to do this? The only thing I've thought of is to make my regular buttercream as the base and melting the candy down into a syrup to flavor the buttercream...do you think that will work? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:36am
post #2 of 9

i would just use the candy as is -- cut it or crush it and sprinkle it on/in -- or use it for the border or in the design -- and i'd try mixing  some of it crushed or chopped into the buttercream -- i checked images of warhead candy and it comes in candy cane style and in jelly looking cubes so maybe something like that -- i would not get into cooking it because i don't want to invest that much time to testing -- but crushing some into bc would get you there --

maof5 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you K8memphis! I'm making the buttercream a couple days in advance so I can experiment and see what works best. I may try both mine and yours to see what packs the most punch. My buttercream has to be smooth because it will be covered in fondant. It will be a 3-d Converse Shoe cake. Thanks for your advice! 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 9

so you could sprinkle the candy onto the layers inside maybe -- hey i made some converse shoes -- lotsa fun -- I used marzipan for the black

maof5 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 9

Yes I can't wait to do them. It's for a young girl so she's wanting them colorful, one neon orange and one bright purple. I'm using a new white chocolate based fondant that I've fell in love with! 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 9

sounds so cool -- wonder if you could make a fruit type leather out of the jelly ones -- trimmed of the sugar coating and mushed together and make the shoe tongues out of it? idk but see what i mean i could get lost in experimenting-- but anyhow please post a picture --

(read in a hushed voice) ...and maybe knead in a little fondant for some adhesion/togetherness...

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 9

I made a red hot cinnamon frosting by melting down the candy and using the resulting syrup as liquid.....it worked out and tasted really good.......still carried the spicy hot in your mouth feeling to the frosting.

maof5 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you Mellee2012! That's why I think melting down the candy will be the best option. I think it will give it a more true to flavor taste. We shall see. I'll be trying it out here in a couple of weeks. I'll keep y'all posted on how it turns out. :)

maof5 Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 9

I know K8memphis I love experimenting and doing new things!!! I'll definitely post a pic here in a couple of weeks once you creation is finished. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%