Not-Chocolate-Cake Flavor To Pair With Cookie Butter Frosting

Baking By annagon Updated 1 Mar 2016 , 2:13pm by annagon

annagon Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 5

I'd like to make a cake for an office birthday and fill it with a cookie butter buttercream.  I've been doing a lot of chocolate lately, so I'd rather not pair it with a chocolate cake.  The last cake I made for the office was also peanut butter so that's out of the question.  The only other flavor I could think of was gingerbread, which seems out of place in March.  Any other ideas?  I'm basically just doing it for fun, so don't want to get too fancy (ie pricey) with ingredients, but could use a little creative inspiration. 

4 replies
craftybanana2 Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 5

What type of cookie? Think flavors in general. Lemon goes well with vanilla. Does it have to have cookies in it? You could just decorate it with cookies, maybe those mini cookies you see in stores? It'll be berry season here in a few months, I think it's pear season already. What is in season where you live? Spice cakes are always nice, could do dump-type cake with seasonal fruit on the bottom or a decorative top maybe?

annagon Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 5

Haha, no I mean the buttercream will have cookie butter in it.  It's basically heaven in a jar, also referred to as speculoos spread.  Imagine peanut butter but instead of peanuts it's made with cookies.  The cookies have kind of a caramely buttery flavor.  Here's the description from Trader Joe's:  A spice cake might work, but I don't think this is the right crowd.  I need something fairly heavy that won't get overpowered by the filling, which is why chocolate seems like the obvious pair.

kakeladi Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 5

Lemon or strawberry or butter pecan or french vanilla or applesauce or spice or stout (beer! for St Pat's day) or mint or coffee?.........the choices are endless!  

annagon Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 5

Alright, I think I'm between butter pecan, carrot, or whiskey.  Love the idea of stout, but that's chocolate, and I want to mix things up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%