Do You Cover Your Freshly Iced Cakes Before Applying Fondant?

Decorating By qchau Updated 1 Mar 2016 , 1:28am by maybenot

qchau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qchau Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 8

HI everyone,

I know that you are supposed to chill freshly iced cake for 15 minutes before applying fondant. My question is: Do you cover the iced cake or just leave it exposed?

Sometimes I chill the cake for a few hours.. should I cover it?? Does it crust properly when it's covered or does it crust better uncovered?

Thanks for your replies :)

7 replies
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 8

I actually never chill my cakes ever, and they always turn out clean and sharp. I usually ice them, let them sit for 30 minutes and then cover them in fondant. 

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 8

I apply my SMBC, chill and then apply my fondant.

the chilled cake is quite firm to the touch and makes applying the fondant much easier. I can't fathom applying fondant to my SMBC without chilling it first.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 12:12am
post #4 of 8

I don't chill anything either, it makes it more likely for a cake tumor to develop as the cake warms up if the cake is really cold when the fondant is put on.

qchau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qchau Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 12:15am
post #5 of 8

Sorry if there are any misunderstanding but my question is whether you put the iced cake in a cake box when you chill it (if you do), or do you leave the cake exposed in the fridge?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 12:36am
post #6 of 8

I chill my cake for just 10-15 mins.  This firms up the icing, but not the cake.  This allow me to work without denting the icing but to do so without condensation forming.  I don't box the cake, but I have nothing in the fridge that could impart any odors, either.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 12:50am
post #7 of 8

I was taught that a cake is b'creamed and immediately the fondant is added.   It needs to be done right away while the b'cream is 'wet' so the fondant will stick to it.   If the b'cream is allowed to 'dry'/harden there is nothing for the fondant to stick to and air pockets  will develope (think 'blowouts'!).

As to boxing after covering in fondant to put into the frig.....it will depend if the frig is dedicated to cakes only.  If it is an everyday family frig then yes, do box and place the box into a plastic bag.  Otherwise no need.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 1:28am
post #8 of 8

As long as I'm using freshly rolled out fondant, and applying the "wet side" to the buttercream, I get excellent adhesion and no airpockets.  I think some condensation does form on the buttercream after I get the fondant on, but I never see it.  That would also help stick the fondant well.  I've also used a pastry brush or mister to lightly spray the cake, but I don't find that to be necessary anymore.

This cake was done as I've described:

klick+bride+cake+small.JPG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%