Fondarific Stuck To My Mat!

Decorating By tsal Updated 1 Mar 2016 , 7:54pm by maybenot

tsal Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 8

I am a hobby baker, and I usually use Satin Ice, but I tried Fondarific once in the past and it was soft and easy to work with. The downside is that it is more expensive than Satin Ice and I have to pay for shipping.

I decided to try it out again this weekend since my cake design was very simple (can't hide many flaws) and I wanted to avoid the elephant skin that I seem to always get with Satin Ice.

I opened the container and it was rock hard but the card inside explained what to do in that scenario so I followed the instructions (microwaved it) and then kneaded. It seemed smooth when I kneaded it and rolled it out (flipping once) until I tried to get it off the nonstick mat onto my cake. It stuck and tore in a few places leaving me in a panic as I have never encountered this problem with Satin Ice. It says on the Fondarific instructions that no shortening or powdered sugar is required for rolling so I am perplexed. I never use shortening or ps with Satin Ice, by the way.

advice? Did I get a bad batch? The expiry date is in 2017 so it was not expired or anything. The cake still turned out ok, but I had to add some flowers on to hide the flaws:

The whole idea of a nonstick mat is that nothing is supposed to stick to it!!!

7 replies
costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 8

Nothing is totally non-stick...I would use shortening on any kind of mat just to make sure it doesn't stick to things. Fondarific has modeling chocolate in it, so if it was microwaved and kneaded that probably softens it up and might have made some of the fat kind of separate out, if that makes sense. I can see in my head exactly what the texture of it was, though. It could have just been a fluke, but my bet is that the microwaving was what did it.

tsal Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 8

Ah interesting. Thanks for the response!

It was completely rock hard and I couldn't knead it at all right out of the bucket so I had to microwave it a little. I only did 20 seconds for 3lbs because I was afraid of overheating (directions say 10 seconds per lb).

How much shortening should I be applying to the mat? I'm assuming a very small amount.

costumeczar Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 3:24am
post #4 of 8

I usually just rub a little bit on just to give it a filmy surface, nothing thick. Confectioner's sugar on it would work too, which one you should use will depend on whether the fondant is soft or stiff.

Sometimes you have to heat that stuff up, but it does change the consistency if it gets hot in spots.

640Cake Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

Much easier to knead when you zap it for a few seconds, but let it rest for a bit before you roll it out - keep it completely covered, so it doesn't dry out, but let it rest, so it's not so warm from the quick zap and your hands.  I prefer to use shortening when rolling it out, but as costumeczar stated, it depends on the consistency as to what you use.  A bit on the soft side, powdered sugar; good to firm, shortening.

maybenot Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 12:42am
post #6 of 8

Fondarific is candy melt based.  The instructions on the packaging are explicit about nuking it for a very short time to make it pliable.

It does act differently than traditional fondant.  It's the only fondant that I find will stick on The Mat, even with a smear of shortening.  I use a sachet of 50/50 powdered sugar & cornstarch to put down the most minimal coating of it on my Mat and then roll on that.  It works well for me.

I've also found that if I mix the Fondarific 50/50 with another fondant, I can get the benefits while saving money & aggravation.

tsal Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 10:45am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the responses!

I was very careful about microwaving it and did so for a shorter time than even the directions stated.

What other fondant do uiu mix it with?

maybenot Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 8

I prefer to knead it together with stiffer fondants, like Satin Ice, but if I have a softer fondant--like the "new" Wilton or FondX--I'll add some tylose to the fondant first, let it rest, and then knead them together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%