Cricut Cake Machine

Decorating By Mad Batter Updated 28 Feb 2016 , 6:11pm by Mad Batter

Mad Batter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mad Batter Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I bought a cricut cake machine several years ago and have not really used it. I tried a few times with gumpaste, etc but really didn't get the results I was looking for ( thinking my gumpaste/fondant may have been too thick?) I have a few cartridges with it but was wondering if anyone out there even uses this machine anymore and if so can you give me pointers or suggestions to use it properly and with good results? I also wondered if there is any way to print your own images on it? Thanks in advance :) 

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 6

Mine's an expensive paperweight.

Mad Batter Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 6

That is what mine has become as well :( 

mymamacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymamacakes Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 6

I returned mine and got a silhouette cameo instead. AWESOME.

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 6

Hi, Mad. I still use my Cricut Cake, and I really like it. However, the learning curve was pretty steep when I first started working with it. I use it to cut sugar sheets, fondant, and gum paste. The sugar sheets cut well on a regular light grip Cricut mat. I use the Cricut Cake mats for fondant and gumpaste, and I apply a very thin layer of shortening to the mat with a pastry brush. Then I roll out my fondant or gumpaste and lay it on the mat, going over it again with a rolling pin to secure it. I pop the mat into the freezer for 20 minutes or so, then cut immediately, and then back in the freezer for a couple of minutes before removing the excess fondant/gumpaste first followed by the cut outs. Patience is the key...I had to really play around with it for a while before I got the hang of it.

Mad Batter Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you. I suppose I should get it out and  play with it again and see what I can do with it.  I purchased mine privately a few yrs back so I am stuck with it unless I could find anyone to buy it. I really was excited about getting it because I thought it is going to be an answer to some of my difficult, precise cut outs but it fell short for me. I will have to try again :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%