Bulging Cakes/ganache

Decorating By Mad Batter Updated 28 Feb 2016 , 4:26pm by Mad Batter

Mad Batter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mad Batter Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I have problems with my cakes bulging once I put the fondant on and they sit .. I have read several solutions to this problem and most say to use ganache but what I am wondering is if the customer orders a white cake they are not going to be expecting choc. How can you use ganache as a solution to bulging since it would be chocolate and may not even go with the flavor of cake that you are making? I guess I have just been wondering about this and how any of you out there handle this?  Thanks in advance :) 

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 6

I suspect that you're not letting your cakes settle.

Mad Batter Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 6

Some times I don't but this week I baked and iced my cakes on thursday and didn't cover them until friday morn/afternoon..by saturday morn they were bulging. I get frustrated sometimes with the issues I have with cakes lol 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 6

To settle a cake, you fill, wrap and place a weight (a ceramic tile works great) on top and let it sit/settle for several hours.  You don't want to ice the outside and you certainly don't want to put it in the fridge while it settles.  Is that what you did?

kayra850 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayra850 Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

Yes. 1. You must let your cake to settle. Mine is sttlimg over night in cooler. Then I put ganache buttercream or just buttercream (if I need white cover). Then i cool a cake again for 1-2 hours. 

2. Roll out fondant with shortening on the table instead sugar. It will stick better to a cake. Or…  you can brush a butercream with litlle water and then put fondant.

I hope  I helped. :-)

Mad Batter Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you. I will have to try this next time. I usually just ice my cakes and let them sit. I have never wrapped and refrigerated or weighted my cakes before covering with fondant. My issues with baking/decorating is that I work a full time job and do this on the weekends for friends so my time is usually limited to get things done. I will have to try baking ahead of time and doing it the way you suggested to see if I have better results :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%