Typical Working Week

Baking By lipsticklover Updated 29 Feb 2016 , 3:17pm by Jinkies

lipsticklover Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone I was just wondering what is the typical week like for a cake decorater/someone who has their own cake business? How much time do you spend baking/decorating? Or is it more business/ customer based, thanks x

7 replies
MimiFix Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 8

There really is no typical week for a cake business. It depends upon how long a business has been in existence, the types of cakes you do, and the competition in your area. But be prepared to spend a lot of time on business issues.   

leah_s Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 8

When I was caking full time, a typical week went like this:

Sunday - try to take a day off

Monday - bake all day (16 ours or so), torte and freeze

Tuesday - make fillings and icings, catch up on any baking.

Wednesday - make decorations

Thursday - pull cakes, fill, wrap and prepare for settling

Friday - finish all cakes, no matter how long it takes.  Plan for 20 hours.

Saturday - deliver

Work in consultations, answering emails.  Oh, and sleep,  Try to work in some sleep.

costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 8

@leah_s ‍ added something about a day off, HAHAHAHAHA! Sundays are my paperwork days, or they WERE until I started using GoDaddy bookkeeping, so there are tools you can pay for to give you a little time.

Just remember that old saying that's started going around again...An entrepreneur is the only type of person who will work 80 hours a week just to avoid working for 40 hours a week for someone else.

costumeczar Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 8

And in general, you'll probably spend about 10% of your time decorating cakes, and 90% on paperwork, marketing, networking, and everything else.

Apti Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 8

and people ask me why I only hobby bake and don't sell cakes....

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Leah, Mimi, Costumeczar and OP, I love you guys, but y'all gotta be slightly nuts

-K8memphis Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 8

yes apti i agree w/you -- i've worn a lot of hats -- owned my own from home and from commercial -- worked for others grocery store and private owned shops, catering -- so just being able to create something beautiful as needed or for no reason at all is far and away the best the best the best the best

i mean you wanna trade time for money -- doing cakes is one of least lucrative for the investment/effort required

Jinkies Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 8

This is a depressing thread, you guys.  All true, but so depressing....

My boss, at my "real job" asked how much I charged for a particular cake.  When I told him, he said, "Ohhh, you're gonna make a lot of money!"   Hahahaha....NOT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%