Ganache Temp Before Applying Fondant

Baking By andrymarquez Updated 28 Feb 2016 , 2:39am by Shazza65

andrymarquez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andrymarquez Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 5:35am
post #1 of 2

Hello fellow decorators!

I'm having a little dilemma because everywhere I read it's something different! I currently reside in Miami, weather around this time goes from hot to cold and vice versa. 

I'm decorating a cake for tomorrow and I need to know...

What temperature should my ganache be before applying fondant? Do I apply it straight out of the fridge after letting it cool? Do I wait for it to sweat? Should I apply a coat of piping gel before applying the fondant? I don't know!

Also, if anyone would be nice enough to give me a good white chocolate to heavy cream ratio... I would appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

1 reply
Shazza65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazza65 Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 2:39am
post #2 of 2

Hi 

I use white choc ganache all the time, however I'm only a home baker, so a professional may jump in with better info. My weather also varies greatly, so ganache works really well.

I use 3 parts chocolate to one part cream.   Once you've made the ganache you can cool it in the fridge until it's peanut butter consistency, if it's too thick it can drag bits of cake off. Just pop it into the microwave until it's spreadable to your liking.   Cakestyletv.com have some excellent videos on making and using ganache. Well worth a look. They've really helped me.  They heat the ganache to a set temperature too which helps it set. 

Once I've ganached the cake I pop them into the fridge to firm up. I have no problems covering the cakes afterwards. 

Before applying the fondant I like to brush with water. Some use jam syrup, but I sometimes have to redo the fondant so water is safer for me.

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%