What Type Of Table Do You Work On?

Decorating By Jinkies Updated 27 Feb 2016 , 10:59am by 810whitechoc

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 2:29am
post #1 of 7

What type of surface do you work on?  Do you like it?  Any pros/cons?  I'm looking to get a new table or island to work on and I'm not sure what surface would be best.  I'm thinking butcher block would be best for rolling fondant, but there's also stainless steel, granite, marble, etc....so many choices.  

What do you all think?

6 replies
810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 3:27am
post #2 of 7

I work professionally so stainless steel all the way for me.  I bought my first bench second hand at auction over 20 years ago, it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

Jinkies Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 7

Hmmmm, I was thinking stainless steel originally but was thinking there might be an issue with the fondant sticking to it.  

@810whitechoc ‍ What do you use to roll your fondant on the stainless steel?  I like to use powdered sugar (icing sugar) and it seems to work best on a wood surface, but I've never used stainless steel.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 7

stainless steel is the best for hygiene and is fine to roll out fondant -- butcher block is porous and more upkeep is needed -- i roll my fondant out on a plastic sheet fwiw -- having at least one marble top counter or marble slab is nice to work with chocolate and to facilitate bringing hot or frozen things to room temp faster -- i have a wooden table that is coated with polyurethane so it is easily cared for -- granite would not be a work choice for me --

i've worked on most all the choices-- the worst ever was a tall table built for/by a tall guy and covered with brand new floor covering -- then said table was commandeered for this bake shop where short and medium height women worked -- the ergonomics reeked and by the time i got there the table would ooze if you placed say a tub of fondant on it -- after a few when you moved the bucket the ooze would have come up under the bucket -- holy moly -- so avoid the floor covering table top :) if at all possible --

and the height of your tables is key -- i prefer tables that i can hover over especially for rolling out fondant -- or have a step available to stand on so you lean over the work rather than reach up to it -- and only short tables for equipment -- reaching up to deal with mixers etc no bueno -- so the stainless table legs can be cut to height -- but make sure any bottom shelves under the table are up to code -- has to be so many inches from the floor (6" ? can't remember)

if you do an island make sure you can get your legs under it from at least one side so you can sit and work comfortably

Jinkies Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 7

Lot's of GREAT info, @-K8memphis ‍ Thank you!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 7

you're very welcome -- 

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 10:59am
post #7 of 7

I use a little cornflour, it is extremely hot and humid here right now and powdered sugar is too sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%