Strawberry Buttercream Made With Jam

Baking By Purpleheather Updated 29 Feb 2016 , 11:51pm by funcakes

Purpleheather Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there...I'm a newbie and looking for a counter stable strawberry buttercream (cake will be covered in fondant).  I know that fresh strawberries should be refrigerated so is the best option to use a strawberry jam in the buttercream?  Or could I use frozen strawberries and cook them down to a puree and then add to buttercream or would that still need to be refrigerated?  I don't want to refrigerate the cake after covering with fondant - which would be the day before looking for something counter stable.  Thanks so much!

2 replies
ropalma Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 3

Use the strawberry preserves with the buttercream.   This should work.

funcakes Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 3

I have tried different strawberries in buttercream, used preserves and even made my own.  After a few hours it would weep and so would I. LOL

I now use freeze dried strawberries.  They come in bags like the other freeze dried fruits kids like for snacks.  They are sometimes hard to find in grocery stores because they will shelve them in odd places.  I buy mine at Trader Joe's.

I make the buttercream and at the end I just crush the strawberries into the buttercream and mix them until the buttercream is a uniform pink. It never weeps and has a rich, sweet, natural strawberry flavor. Everyone loves the strawberry buttercream!

Quote by @%username% on %date%