Will A Combination Of Straws & Sps Supports Work?

Decorating By FrostedMoon Updated 25 Feb 2016 , 7:03am by maybenot

FrostedMoon Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 4:27am
post #1 of 2

Hello!

I am making a tiered cake for this Saturday and was thinking of using a mix of straws & SPS for the different layers.  It will be a 10" cake dummy, then 2 8" cakes iced to look like a double barrel, then topped with a 6" cake.   I was thinking of using milk shake straws to support the second layer of the double barrel, then putting a wooden skewer down through the double barrel and through the dummy cake and in to the cake board, and then the SPS would go in to the top tier of the double barrel to support the 6" tier.  Now that I've typed it out that sounds like a lot for the straws!  Should I just go with SPS for in the double barrel, too?  If I do use all SPS, should skewers go through the dummy and in to the board before the double barrel gets stacked on it to make sure it doesn't move?  

If I use SPS for in the double barrel, what is the best way to secure it to the dummy cake?  It will be covered in fondant.  Should I just treat it like a cake board & adhere it on as I normally would?

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
maybenot Posted 25 Feb 2016 , 7:03am
post #2 of 2

If I were doing the cake, I'd make the double barrel with a board in between the 4" cakes and 4 wide bore straws in the bottom supporting the upper cake.  I'd put 3 wide bore straws in the top 8"x4" and place the 6" tier on top of that.  I'd attach that now 2 "tier" cake to the dummy by putting royal icing or softened fondant under it [it's on it's own cake board under the double barrel] and then I'd drive a sharpened dowel down into the styrofoam maybe 3 inches in.  I'd cut the dowel so that when finished it would be just below the surface of the icing on the top cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%