Pound Cake

Baking By peachcake Updated 26 Feb 2016 , 3:23am by peachcake

peachcake Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 9

Anybody got an idea why my pound cakes aren't getting done all the way. Very frustrated. Help!

8 replies
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 9

umm . . . you're not baking them long enough?

-K8memphis Posted 23 Feb 2016 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 9

i have a pound cake recipe that comes out great in the usual bundt pans and in everything else i've ever baked it in except this vaulted cathedral Nordic ware pan

https://www.nordicware.com/store/product_detail/vaulted-cathedral-bundt-pan#.VszdDKhMHxAVszdDKhMHxA

the pan is deeper and narrower and the batter literally flows up & down the spout like a waterfall that I have to scrape it off the outside bottom of the pan -- it's like baking one cake on the inside and one on the outside -- plus when i lop off the top after baking to level it before turning it out of the pan i can sometimes cut off a big fat blobby area where it did not fully bake so -- 

for you it could be the pan size or it could be that the oven cooks the top of the cake (as it sits in the oven) cooks the top so hard and fast  that the batter cannot crack the surface and it just sits in there and can't burst through and bake --

pound cakes often have that crack in the top surface near rhe end of the bakng time where that last little bit of uncooked batter wants to rise up and get baked --

or maybe you're just taking it out too soon, oven is too hot, too cold, things like that

peachcake Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 12:57am
post #4 of 9

The one I baked today was 325 for 1 hr and 30 mins.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 1:25am
post #5 of 9

did it crack on top? I bake mine at 350 -- what kind of pan? was the uncooked part at the top or the bottom of the cake before you de-panned it?

-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 1:25am
post #6 of 9

do you have an oven thermometer?

karmen.wong Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 1:51am
post #7 of 9

use a core insulator, its a piece of metal you insert into the batter so that the middle is cooked. the shape is probably to wide at one point and does not cook evenly. 

T-Breakz Posted 24 Feb 2016 , 9:05am
post #8 of 9

Depend on the size of your cake pan. I baked a pound cake to 2+hr before but that may be coz I don't use high temp. 

peachcake Posted 26 Feb 2016 , 3:23am
post #9 of 9

Thanks all,,it was a recipe I haven 't use before but, I think it should have baked longer. I checked. tester came out clean, looked pretty but felll. Had a good taste . will bake longer next time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%