How Long Can I Make My Fondant Decorations In Advance Before Using ?

Decorating By dgonzalez227 Updated 22 Feb 2016 , 7:15am by gallopinggranny

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 6

I just started using my new molds and thought I can make fondant decorations way in advance of my baby shower .

only thing is we're in February and my baby shower is in may I was wondering if  they would go bad if I made them now ?

I have home made marshmallow fondant as well as store brand colors 

does the marshmallow fondant mold faster? Or itll be okay to work with. Should I use store bought instead ?

thank you in advance [postimage id="2588" thumb="900"]

5 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 2:44am
post #2 of 6

Hi there!  Fondant won't go bad (mmf is pretty much all sugar so it will last forever) but it will get hard over time.  So, it depends on if your guests will be eating these decorations.  If no one will be eating them then go ahead and make them whenever.  

Just an idea though......I've never done it, but you could try to test freeze a few and see how they come back to room temp.

If that doesn't work, you should wait.

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 3:08am
post #3 of 6

Thank you! Good to know 

I hope they eat them hehe are hey not edible

MamawJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamawJ Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 3:39am
post #4 of 6

I make mine and after letting them air dry for 24 hours or so, I put them in a Tupperware container in tissue paper  they hold up beautifully and can still be eaten because they don't get rock hard.  Longest I've kept any is about 5 months.  Hope this helps!  Oh and congratulations!!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 3:51am
post #5 of 6

Yeah, I make mine up as early as I have time.  If you want them hard store them in cardboard, if you want them still chewable store them in plastic boxes or even ziplocks.  I have preserved toppers after the cake was eaten (because they were cute and I couldn't bear to throw them away yet) for many months and they looked just like they did when I first made them.

gallopinggranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gallopinggranny Posted 22 Feb 2016 , 7:15am
post #6 of 6

I wouldn't freeze them. When you take them out, the condensation will make them sticky and gooey. (Yuck). :-)  You can definitely make them now. Even if they are hard, they are still edible. I don't know why you would want to though. They are pure sugar.Just make them, let them air dry, and store in a dry place in a zip bag or plastic container. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%